Mondeo headlamp bulbs & fuses:Is this a wind-up?

The O/S dipped headlamp halogen bulb failed on my P reg (96/97) Mondeo.

I bought an identical replacement H7 55w bulb from my local car spares shop and was told that I MUST replace the fuse as well as the bulb, even though it hadn't blown!

I asked the reason for this and he told me that it was a common fault on most Mondeos and some Vauxhall cars, that if you do not replace the fuse at the same time, there is a possibility of blowing every bulb on the lighting circuit.

Is this a wind-up or if it isn't, how can not changing the bulb blow all the lights? I would have thought that the fuse would be the first thing to fail.

However, at this moment in time, I have not replaced the fuse, just the bulb, and everything seems to be working OK at the moment.

Fingers crossed!

Any ideas or thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

Reply to
Peter Kay

It's either a wind up or cluelessness

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Twas Sun, 28 Dec 2003 18:22:59 +0000 when Peter Kay put finger to keyboard producing:

A wind-up.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

Find another accessory shop!!!

There are several cases when a bulb fails it will blow the fuse as well, especially in the home, rarer in automotive electrics though.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

*Cough* Bollocks *Cough*

It's either a wind-up or cluelessness. I changed headlights bulbs twice on my previous 1998 Mondeo V6 Ghia-X and didn't have any problems whatsoever with 'fuses blowing'.

Tell him to wipe his chin - he's dribbling bullshit....

Reply to
Neil Barker

Although as they have a relatively consistent life , batch to batch, if ones goen then the other'll probably go soon anyway.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Ha HA

Reply to
JK

When a bulb fails the current decreases. This cannot cause a fuse to fail.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Domestic bulbs can short when they fail - probably due to the filament supports touching. And will often take the dimmer with them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Normally it's a flashover arc, which is why decent bulbs have fuses built into the filament supports.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Not quite- at the point where the filiment actually blows- you have an arc across the two broken bits of wire- which pull a *large* current for a brief instant. It is this surge that blows the fuse. Automotive fuses tend to be slow blow- they can sustain an overload for a short time, unlike household and electronic fuses which can come in various flavours;- "fast", quick" and "ultra quick" blow.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

Due to the filament supports touching what?

Reply to
shazzbat

nowt, the arc flashes along the filament in a glowing cloud of vaporised filament. Along with a loud bang.

Reply to
Duncan Wood