Mondeo heated front screen

My heated front screen has never worked. Just been listening for the relay and can hear one clicking for the heated rear window (relay click seems to come from passenger footwell area) Can anyone confirm that there should be a relay click for the front screen too?

Hoping it might be a duff relay and not the screen.

1999 1.8 LX
Reply to
Rockingrabbit

I often see them with non heated screen, simply because it is a cheaper replacement! Assuing it has an actual heated screen, there are two fuses for l and r and a timer relay, all in the under bonnet relay/fuse box. the fuses are f5 and 6 and the relay number 4:

looking into the fuse box there should be three fuses in a line on the left top, followed by a relay, directly below this relay is the screen relay.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

You won't hear the HFS relay from the cabin; it's under the bonnet.

Note that the engine must be running (not just ignition on) before the HFS relay can energise.

Autodata shows the timer relay for the HFS as Relay 4, in the under bonnet fuse box.

The screen elements are in two halves. Each half has its own 30A fuse, fed from R4.

It's common for a few of the elements to stop working before complete failure. A single blown fuse leaves one side still working, so that seems unlikely.

If relay replacement doesn't cure it, the next thing to check is where the wiring connects to the screen.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Curses Mr C; beat me by 7 minutes!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks for replies. I'll check in morning. Yes, it does have a heated front screen. Can see the fine wires in the right light. Should have said that the light on the button comes on, but nothing else happens. I guess the light is just a indication you have pressed the button and not a feed from the voltage after the relay that feeds the screen? ? ?

Reply to
Rockingrabbit

pull the relay out and you will know! it must be from the relay as it is only a momentary action switch, hence the timer relay.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

most common faults on screens are bad connections at the live feed or the earth

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Got it. Thanks. So guess as the light is coming on that proves the relay is ok, for low current at least (the bulb). I'll see if I can check continuity from the screen side of relay through the screen to earth. Hopefully its highish or open circuit and I can go hunting a bad connection. Agree that the neg connection to the body is often the culprit.

Thanks all

Reply to
Rockingrabbit