Mondeo Heater Temperature Control Cable

The heater temperature control on my 1997 Mk.2 Mondeo won't go past the "9 o'clock" position. I know that this is probably due to a problem with the cable linking the control knob to the heater system itself. My Haynes book is quite informative about dismantling the lower dashboard and getting to the control end of the cable, but doesn't even confirm where the other end is.

Where is the other end of the cable? How do you get at it? Is a replacement cable the kind of thing you could source from a scrapped car? If so, are Mk.1 Mondeos (there are alway smore of these in my local scrappies) a possible source?

Reply to
Stephen Leak

I had to replace this cable on our Mondeo Mk1 last summer. The inner cable becomes weaker over the years as it is used and will fold back on itself - that is the problem. Don't buy one from a breakers as it's already had lots of life taken out of it and will fail sooner than you expect.. The part is easily available from local dealer and not that expensive. From what I remember it only simple tools were required, crosshead and flat screwdrivers to remove screws and blanking plugs, torch to see where the cable goes, pliers to hold things firmly, and firm hand (or rubber mallet) to push trim firmly into place

This is an easy, but time consuming, job. Took me all morning. It looks like this was installed right at the start of the car's build, and then everything was put on over the top of it.

I didn't bother disconnecting the battery - but that's me. Remove the radio/cassette. You can slide it far enough forward to do the job if you unplug most of the cables, but make sure you have the code if you remove the power cable.

Remove the radio-dash trim/skislope. Undo the screws as required (see w/s manual). There are screws and it is clipped in, so be careful that you don't snap the clips from the moulded plastic when you remove it or it will be loose when you replace it - if it ever fits again.

Carefully remove the heater control screws and pull complete assembly forward. You will get less than 2in of play but it is enough. The cable is held in place by a spring clip and bent to hook over the end of the control lever at one end . You will probably find if you turn the heater control you will see the wire move a little, then bend before your eyes. Leave it connected until you have located the other end. To get access to the other (business) end, remove the left panel from the drivers footwell. This gives access to the heater box. Move the heater control and you will see where the cable goes. It is easy enough to just remove the spring clips and bend unhook the cable from each end as this cable it knackered.

NOW FOR THE FUN - MAKE SURE THAT YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHERE THE OLD CABLE THREADS THROUGH THE DASHBOARD OR IT WILL NOT MOVE FREELY.

You have to gently prise the old cable (inner & outer) away from the clips that hold it in place behind the skislope and remove the old cable. Now thread the new cable along the original path. You will find it easier to fit the two ends in place first to give you some slack before you press the new cable back into the clips.

Check that the heater cable moves freely through all temperatures and adjust if necessary (I just fitted mine with the spring clip and it worked) Replace all the trim removed. This is done by pushing the plastic panels back into place (and hammering with rubber mallet?) to ensure they snap shut and replacing the screws. Replace the radio. Check everything works as it should. Get Mrs to make tea and tell her you just saved £150+ vat in labour Stand back and await praise at how clever you are (this may take longer than it took to build the entire car originally!)

Hope this helps

Reply to
Classic Car Man

Thank you. Just what I was looking for: "Replacing Heater Cables for Dummies"! :-)

I've just rung my local Ford Parts Department and the FINIS code is

3253112 and the cost (inc. VAT) is =A35.96.

All I need now is the free (ie. not mowing lawns, ironing shirts or being dragged around garden centres/M&S) time to get to Bath to get the part and then to actually do the job. At least SWMBO likes the heater on full blast - even in summer - so there may be some leverage I can use.

Reply to
Stephen Leak