Mondeo idle engine speed

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew what engine speed the Mondeo usually idles at. I have a '97 1.8 Petrol. Starting from cold it idles at around 1,200rpm. When warm, it's still close to 900rpm. Does this seem a little fast?

It's also due for its first major (60k miles) service. I was quoted £160 by Mr. Ford Dealer. Are there any good reasons for NOT taking my car to be serviced by a Ford dealer and taking it somewhere else instead?

Ta,

Chris.

Reply to
Chris M

V6 ? My ST200 idles at around 2,000 for 10 seconds, then drops to around 750 mark. Every V6 (well, ST24 / ST200) I've seen does exactly the same ..

Reply to
Andy Jenkins

Hot idle should be 750-800rpm. Check the wires to the PSPS havent broken- they often rub on the underside of the bonnet.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Nope, 4-cylinder.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris M

That's about the same as mine.

Reply to
Tim

Mine, too.

When the engine is cold, the ECU goes into "warm-up mode" and enriches the fuel/air mixture, like an automatic choke. As the engine warms up, things go back to normal.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve Leak