Mondeo keeps stalling

I have an N-reg 1.8 Mondeo and am being baffled by the following problem: When the engine is cold and I am doing a short journey, the car will stall whenever I drop down below 15mph for a junction or traffic lights. I can then restart the engine normally and continue on until the next junction.

This stalling problem normally rears its ugly head about once a month and lasts for about two days....

I do mainly short journeys on weekdays of

get

Firstly dismiss the battery / alternator problem- if the car is starting well enough in these low temps then they are fine.

The mostly likely cause is a sticking ISCV (idle speed control valve) which has become partially gummed up with oil contaminants- when these are cold and sticky the valve cannot open quickly enough in response to the ECU and the engine stalls.

The valve is on the underside of the intake manifold, and are a swine to get at - even on a lift. If cleaning it with Carb cleaner til it runs out clean and then lightly re-oiling it doesnt solve the problem its time for a new one. Its not worth messing about taking it on an off cos of the bastardery position its in. Ford will charge you ~£60 +vat.

You dont mention any other starting or running complaint so its fairly safe to assume that EGR valve, MAF sensor and the notorious rubber elbow are fine.

Incidentally, hope your running the correct 5w-30 oil in it, which would be the first thing to change if your not.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l