Mondeo Mk1 1.8 LX 1995 Temp Gauge Reading

My Gauge when not in traffic just sits after the left hand side white block, when in traffic moves to the O position in Normal and when stopped rises just below the M.

When going around a sharp left hander the gauge sticks on the left; until I go over a bump it then goes back. I Guess I have a sticky gauge, but is the temp reading ok when not sticking? I am not loosing any water or oil and the heater works ok-ish though it is a bit cooler on fan pos 4.

Reply to
SimonW

Temp gauge should read as you say when in traffic (at the O or R area) at all times- your thermostat may be stuck open or missing- whats the mpg like? If its heavy (a 1.8 should be doing 30 easily, and upto 40mpg on a run) then check and replace the 'stat.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

From filling up the tank I have done 150 miles and the fuel gauge is now approaching half.

Reply to
SimonW

Sticking open thermostats are very common on Mondeos, cheap and easy to fix/check. I used an original Ford part as I was advised that they open a few degrees hotter then 3rd party ones, whatever, price difference was negligable....

Reply to
Tony Bond

I replaced the temp gauge sender unit and thermostat on my Mondeo 1.8 MKI to cure odd readings on the temperature gauge. Cost about £10 for both parts, 1/2 hour to fit them. I suspect it was the sender that was faulty, but I replaced the 'stat at the same time. The gauge would read very cool, and sometimes just swing to the right. Other times It would appear to be dead.

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

Thanks, going to change both this w/e.

Reply to
SimonW

Just changed both on my 1.8 GLX, when I checked the old thermostat it wasn't stuck open, but it had a very weak spring so I'm guessing it was opening too early.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Replaced temp sender and stat, old one was 88c new one is 92c.

Guage now reads bewteen the R and the M (at 12o clock). When stopped gauge creeps up to A and the fan cuts in.

Heater is nice and warm now, it will be lovely in the winter!

Reply to
SimonW