Mondeo Mk1 car alarm with a mind of it's own

My Mondeo alarm (standard Ford) keeps going off for no apparent reason! The car is not being moved or "bumped about", it's not raining, it's not windy, there are no flies buzzing about inside etc... In short I can't see why it's doing it! Short circuit perhaps?

Given the fuel in the tank is worth more than the car, I am looking at disabling the siren. Is it safe to do this? Will it affect anything else? Or is there something else I can do? I've had a look around but can't see any obvious wiring problems - and other than leaving it unlocked I bet my neighbours are getting annoyed!!!

Thanks

Mark

Reply to
Krycek

Krycek formulated on Saturday :

The bonnet sensor is the usual culprit. Look close to the bonnet catch for a button with a rubber bellows covering. They catch all the crud and wet from the road. Try shorting out the switch by linking the two wires. If it fixes it - that is your culprit.

I think the alarm sounder might be behind the battery. Just disconnect either of the wires going to that to silence it until it is sorted out.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Aha, thanks, I'll check that out.

It's in the boot, left hand side as you look in behind the carpeting. Disconnected for now, thanks.

Reply to
Krycek

Might be a good idea to try the alarm switch diagnostic mode.

Open & close the door a few times (I think it's 8 opens, 8 shuts) to enter the diagnostic mode. Either that or just open the driver's door and press the door button (a really obvious black rubber button about two-thirds of the way down the B column, under the door catch) until the car "plips" at you from the alarm siren.

Once you're in diagnostic mode, go round and open each door and the bonnet one at a time and the car will plip at you - plip for open, plip for close. If you don't get a plip when you're changing something, you know you've got a dodgy sensor.

John

Reply to
John Duffey

Noted, with thanks!