Mondeo Mk3 (2006) Kerb Impact

Hi Guys

Driving today round snowy side streets i managed to skid on a corner and kerb the front offside wheel at about 5-10 mph. Impact angle was about 45 degrees. Other than some expected deep scratches on the rim of the alloy i cant see any obvious damage and the car feels just as before.

I am going to take it in for a tracking check tomorrow so hopefully it will need nothing more than that?

Opinions welcome?

MattF

Reply to
MattF

Yep, worth getting the tracking checked.

Other less likely possibilities are a bent strut, or bottom arm; if you are familiar with how the car drives, you would notice anything significant just by driving it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 22:35:03 +0000, Chris Whelan boggled us with:

If it's out, he's bent something. Track rods don't just adjust themselves, as I'm sure you're aware

Indeed. I was in a friend's Alfa 33 years ago out in Greece when he clipped a big rock that was lying just over the brow of a hill. Hit it hard enough for us both to think we were going to roll over, but in the end it came down on all 4 wheels but we'd gone up a side road unintentionally. The steering wheel was 180 degrees out after that..

Reply to
Mike P
[...]

What's very common is that the rack moves on its mounts.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

If the steering wheel is still in exactly the same place when driving straight ahead then nothing has moved so no real point getting the tracking checked. If the steering wheel has moved then it could be both tracking plus bent track rod ends or other bits so again no point getting the tracking checked or adjusted until the other bits have also been checked or the tracking will need doing again once they are fixed.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Can you be sure that the wheel is in exactly the same place as previously - even if you do drive the car regularly?

Rob graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

You can be sure to within a degree or two and if it hasn't moved further than that then the tracking can't be out by much either.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Thanks for the replies below.

Took to garage and had a good look up on the ramp and all seems OK - nothing bent.

Matthew

Reply to
MattF