Mondeo oil spring

The nearside front coil spring on my 51 plate Mondeo has been dislodged from the lower end recess. I don't have the means to do this myself so how much do you reckon will be a fair price to sort out? Thanks in advance.

Rob

Reply to
Robbie Mayhem

It's highly unlikely to have come out without a good reason. Are you sure it's not broken?

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

No, I'm not sure to be honest, when driving you can hear a grinding noise when the suspension is active (I think this is the action of the coil spring rotating when under compression and extension and abrading where it is in contact with the bottom end locating point), also the gap you can see between the top of the tyre and the bottom of the wheel arch looks about the same on both sides. Cost?

Rob

Reply to
Robbie Mayhem

THe springs are quite cheap. About an hours labour. May need track rod end or ball joint if the rubbers split when removing the strut.

Reply to
Conor

Thanks for the info, will they need doing as a pair?

Rob

Reply to
Robbie Mayhem

Define need. It's not a bad idea.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Its just that everything I've read about replacing parts of the suspension system recommends replacing both nearside and offside at the same time (I guess this is to maintain the steering geometry). Thanks again for the info though.

Rob

Reply to
Robbie Mayhem

Depends. On an older or high mileage car it's a good idea as springs compress with age so you could end up with one side higher than the other. Otherwise just get them to put genuine Ford ones on. The genuine ones aren't much dearer than pattern ones.

Reply to
Conor

Depends. It's about an hours labour so it'll depend on your local garage. Parts are cheap, there's also 1 on ebay:-

And yes it is my auction ;-)

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

It's a shame the fire-crew cut the roof off. Car was in barely scratched otherwise...

Reply to
David R

Exactly, bit of T-Cut and you'd never know. Still, it is the first 2 door convertible Mondeo.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong