Mondeo problems

A colleague has asked me to post this for him, as he's not au fait with usenet. He has a 1995/M Mondeo 1.8. The engine is a Zetec lump.

His complaint: when braking to a halt, the engine revs remain at c.

1400ropm for a few seconds after the car has come to a halt. They then drop to around normal idle speed, then the engine "hunts" in quite a distinctive, regular up-and-down fashion (almost as if he were gently pressing and releasing the throttle, though he isn't) with a cycle of about 1.5 seconds.

Where should he start looking for the problem? (He replaced the vacuum Y-pipe behind the throttle body that is known to split a couple of years ago.)

Many thanks for any suggestions or ideas.

to open account

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

could it be the servo diaphram? letting in air, try removing the vac pipe from that and blocking it off and see if the hunting etc goes? I am not a expert mind you just a DIYER!

Reply to
jamie

This behaviour is normal, but the revs seem a bit high.

I'd start by having a look at the idle control valve. His idle control isn't very good, so the valve that controls it may be faulty.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Hi Mike

Generally Zetec's will keep the revs high for a short period but there's a few other possible problem area's, a duff Idle speed regulator, the switch on the clutch pedal may need adjusting, you may also have a leak on the plenum chamber seal causing unmetered air to enter the system, or lastly a duff MAF.

Reply to
Steve Sweet