Mondeo Rust Advice

Hi All

My 97 Mk2 Mondeo has a bit of rust bubling up on the rear wheelarch right at the top, this looks like it was started by a small impact (shopping trolley etc...) many years ago.

Basically my question is this. As it looks like the rust is bubling up from beneath, previous experience has shown that even if i spend an afternoon sanding treating and repainting, it might be back before the end of winter. Am i right in thinking that by covering this up on the surface it might actually do more harm than good?

Unfortunately i dont have the time, facilities or skills if i am being completely honest to start cutting out bits of bodywork and welding in new ones. Any ideas how much a bodyshop would charge to sort this out properly or would the price of mondeos being as cheap as they are make this uneconomical?

MattF

Reply to
Matt F

My POV would be "Fuckit, it's a Mondeo". There are millions others and they're worth not a lot.

Reply to
Doki

Body shop prices usually start in the 100s so I'd just leave it. It may go on for years without any problem. You could whack some waxoyl underseal inside & underneath etc to try to limit the spread.

Reply to
adder1969

You're looking at =A3100 to have it cut out, a new bit welded in and=20 sprayed...at least that's what my local bodyshop charged me to replace=20

4" of arch on my Rover 620.

--=20 Conor

"No trilogy should have more than four books" - Arthur C. Clarke

Reply to
Conor

I did a bit of body work on a £75 fiesta 1.1 (my first car) Had a hand sized hole well after I finished knocking out all the rust. Put some of that rust neutraliser stuff? I forget it was so long ago, then I put some wire mesh in and applied a thick layer of fibre putty. Left to dry, sanded down then paint applied. Looked almost as good as new. Must have made the car worth oh all of £80 before it failed its MoT on a hole in the boot.

Reply to
Joe