Mondeo TD fuel heater

My 1996 Mondeo 1.8 TD would not start. The breakdown fitter bypassed the fuel heater with a piece of hose as he thought air was getting in. The car has run well since. I have had a good look at this heater unit and cannot find any signs of leakage. Anyone know any way of testing it please, or would it be ok to make the bypass a permanent one?

Reply to
Vincent Taylor