Mondeo TDCi 130 Poor fuel consumption

Can any Ford bods shed any light please. =

Recently bought a Mondeo Estate TDCi 130 Zetec, great car the space inside is emmense= , great lugging two kids around. The problem is the fuel consuption, seems to run fine but only getting 36 mpg around to= wn and after a recent holiday to devon taking it very steady just managed 44 mpg. Not ab= using the car just driving normal?????? One other thing is when you do give it a boot full of throttle is does not seem consistan= t, its hestating slightly during accell. Everything else is normal, no lights on, st= arts first time, just serviced the car (not changed the fuel filter though) and only u= se premium diesel no supermarket stuff. Its been 6 tank fulls now since purchase and getting slightly dispondant. Ford deale= rs wants the car for a couple of days at =C2=A370 ph. No warranty.

Help???

Reply to
Andy

Makes no difference for a Diesel...

Reply to
Paul Cummins

Give it a shot of fuel system cleaner type stuff, can't hurt it. To be fair

44mpg doesn't sound too bad to me.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Seems a little thirsty. My new 2.2TDCi Mondy (155 brake horse) averages

45mpg, peaking at 50mpg.

45mpg is for combined driving, somewhat 'enthusiastically' since I've only recently got it.

Reply to
Alan Dempster

Aye, given the size of car and the fact that it's a modern diesel with power output close on it's petrol equivalent, that's about what I'd expect.

In fact, I'd be delighted with that.

Reply to
SteveH

I don't know what people consider enthusiastic driving but tank averages on my A class range from 33 to 51 mpg, and on the Verso from 34 to 48mpg.

compare with the S60 at 24mpg....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Help???

I have your model and FWIW I used to get 40mpg consistently until I got an Inforad speed camera detector. My mpg is now 50.

Make of that what you will. It's paid for itself hands down in fuel alone.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

mpg. Not ab=

Yep.

seem consistan=

That's called turbo lag.

Everything else is normal, no lights on, st=

You bought a diesel....

Reply to
Conor

On Wednesday I took a load to Minsterley. It was windy and raining. I averaged 8.1MPG.

On Thursday I took the same load in the same wagon with the same trailer to Minsterley. It was nice and sunny and there was no wind. I averaged 9.6MPG.

Reply to
Conor

Why? Do you need a little box to tell you how to drive?

Reply to
Conor

My (night)Marea is a bit of a funny one.

Drive it like you stole it, 26mpg.

Drive it like a nun, 28.5mpg.

My conclusion is I may as well drive it like I stole it.

Well, no, actually, my conclusion is that I need a new car.

Reply to
SteveH

Help???

You are about 4-5mpg down on the open road mpg. Town figure is about right.

1) Check with dealer for updated software- there is lots. 2) Have dealer check, and probably replace EGR valve- very very well known fault.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Conor wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

Yebbut, your's is tuned innit :-)

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Yeah...Radio 2 during the week.

Reply to
Conor

I'd like to correct you and say that's blood awful!

I average 50mpg (indicated 53). I can get about 58 (indicated 63) if I=20 drive it like a nun (that was 690 miles on just shy of 12 gallons, and=20 I've heard of one bloke who got 790 miles from a full tank!). I once=20 drove it for 30 miles giving it an italian tune, and got about 43 - red=20 line in every gear, and using 1 gear lower than I would normally for=20 cruising.

I've just got back from a 300 mile round trip, with a mix of motorways=20 and hard driven A roads, and it's indicating about 52, which will be 48-

49 in reality

Things to check for: You say that you've got hesitation. I'd guess it's=20 at 1800-2000 rpm. If so, there's a well known problem with one version=20 of the firmware of the ECU, which can be improved by putting the latest=20 version on.

What age car is it by the way? If it's an early TDCI 130, these did have=20 (IIRC) the poor fuel consumption you're describing.

FWIW, I've never found any differences beterr

Also check for a sticking rear caliper. I've heard of some problems with=20 those.

Pete.

--=20 NOTE! Email address is spamtrapped. Any email will be deleted Remove the news and underscore from my address to reply by mail

Reply to
Pete Smith

Well, it all depends on how you drive and what you're used to - I get

26mpg from my Marea, so if I could drive a Mondeo TDCI like I stole it and still get 40-ish mpg, I'd be a very happy man.

I've had VAG TDIs under 30mpg on an A-road run.

Reply to
SteveH

My old Cavalier 1.7TD averaged 33mpg over its life...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

So it would seem

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

Fair enough I suppose.

Reply to
Conor

I used to drive a 2.0 petrol Mondeo (same power, half the torque, 2/3 of the economy, 2x the insurance), and I drive the "new" one pretty much the same way I drove the old one.

A road part was up to *ahem* legal speeds ossifer, twisty, with plenty of slowing down & speeding up again (bloody roundabouts)

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith