Mondeo TDCi - breakdown

Hi,

I broke down this morning on the M6 around J19/18, complete with young family - not very pleasant, but at least the tow truck arrived pretty quickly.

Does anybody have any idea of what's actually wrong with my car - description below:

I'd been driving along at the speed limit for a while before the traffic slowed to a stop. When it started again I managed to stall. I re-heated the glow plugs and fired up, but found myself with very little power. I struggled to get to 45 ish in third and then noticed the temperature gauge was at the very highest point. All this occurred within the space of a minute or so. I find it hard to believe that I didn't notice the gauge rising prior to stalling, but I might have missed it. I can't help thinking that stalling had triggered it.

I pulled over and stopped the engine and tried re-starting just in case it was some sort of funny ECU thing. The gauge still read very high and the engine again lacked power.

Having called for help and waited for 5-10minutes, I tried the engine again - this time the gauge read normal and power seemed to have returned. Having been towed home, the car seems to be ok.

Car is 52 plate Mondeo TDCI 130 LX.

Thanks,

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Evans

I`m not a mechanic by a long shot, but the first thing i`d check would be for a stuck thermostat... lets see if the panel agree :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

The lack of power would be caused by the high temp seen by the ECU. These engines go into reduced power mode during overheating.

First thing to establish is whether the engine is actually overheating. If it is overheating, then that's the problem. If it isn't overheating, then chances are it's a faulty cylinder head temperature sensor. This screws directly into the cylinder, and has a deformable tip. When you screw them in, the tip off the sensor makes contact against the alloy off the cylinder head, and the tip gets compressed as it's fully tightened in. These can only ever be fitted once. It is mounted on the right hand side (standing at the front looking under the bonnet) off the cylinder head, and has a lead coming from it with about

6 inches of wire, finishing in a plug. I think you have to remove a drive pulley to get proper acess to the actual sensor, but the plug is eaily reached. These are quite a common failure point, but the ones I've seen have all went short circuit, causing the temp gauge to read permanently high, and sometimes to cause the ecu to stop the engine. It may be that yours is starting to fail. If it does show permanent overheating, easiest temporary fix is to unplug it. That way the ecu takes a default temp off around 60deg, which is sufficient for normal running.
Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Moray,

reached.

All sounds plausible and would explain why I didn't notice the temp gauge rising. In fact the gauge was at full scale deflection suggesting a short on the sensor. I did wonder if the ECU had gone into some form of 'limp home mode' as you described.

I think the car may have become a little hotter than normal and induced the temporary sensor failure. Once cooled, back to normal until the next time. Fingers crossed that this really is the case. To be honest, I've lost faith in the car - I had to have it re-programmed a few months ago and now this. Maybe time for a Honda Accord.

I'm off to the Ford garage on Monday since the car still has a couple of months of manufacturers warranty left to run. Will the ECU record data such as the temperature sensor's input? In particular, will it record the speed of the apparent rise? If so, it should be easier to diagnose, I don't want the 'we can't replicate the fault sir' situation to arrise.

Thanks for the above, at least I've a way of sorting it should it happen again. If I'd had the presence of mind, I'd have checked the radiator temperature by hand and also watched to see if the temp gauge suddenly dropped or cooled gently back to normal.

One thing I fogot to mention is that whilst we were being rescued from the M6 a chap stopped just in front of us and talked to our rescuer. I assumed he'd just broken down as well - but no, he was asking for directions to London - unbelievable! He nearly caused an accident when he pulled abruptly back onto the motorway.

Thanks for the information - at least it all sounds fixable, assuming it hasn't actually overheated.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Evans

Apart from this problem, how have you found the car overall - I'm thinking of buying one imminently you see, specifically a TDCi 130, amongst other things. :-)

TIA

Reply to
JackH

more than likely the vast majority of cars now will go into limp home mode, especially if they have fly by wire throttles no matter how much you press the pedal, the ecu won't allow the tps to do anything other than maintain idle it should (possibly) have an over heating light come on the dash, once this is extinguished the power delivery returns to normal

Reply to
dojj

Hi Jack,

I really quite like it. Mondeo Mk3s handle really well and the 130 goes really well, I'm glad I didn't just go for the 115. I've only got the LX spec, but it has everything I need - including four electric windows, air con, elec mirrors,CD etc.I didn't fancy paying an extra £1k for the zetec spec just to get alloys and front fogs. When I've checked the MPG I've got about 47 on A roads.

On the down side, I find the clutch a bit snatchy and my wife has moaned a bit about not being comfortable in the passenger seat. I've also had a little water ingress through the rear doors - only a small amount and only in heavy rain. It also seems to suffer slightly from wind noise through one of the rear windows.

Other than the re-programming and this breakdown I'm pretty satisified. Ford have been good with the little warranty work that's been required so far, i.e. the re-programming and a new windscreen since some of the heated elements had failed. I just hope this continues when I pop it back in on Monday, especially has I've just had it serviced at an independent garage using Ford parts.

HTH,

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Evans

age

Better seats, and an MP3 player. Plus climate control and better=20 suspension.

You, me & everyone else

This is odd. The Ghia (don't know about the LX) has the same adjustments as= =20 the drivers seat.

OTOH, if it's the back of her legs, it's because the LX has got seats with= =20 shorter squabs, which can be uncomfortable.

Again, you, me & everyone else. It's actually one of the biggest failings= =20 of the Mk3 Mondeo.

I certainly like mine.

Pete.

--=20 NOTE! Email address is spamtrapped. Any email will be deleted Remove the news and underscore from my address to reply by mail

Reply to
Pete Smith

Actually, the diagnosis is a failed water pump. Apparently the splines have worn (I assume these are the bits that actually move the water), so if given some welly the cooling doesn't keep up. Should be under Ford warranty - but I'll know for sure tomorrow. I hope this isn't going to lead to cylinder head problems?

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Evans

message

The impeller is plastic and they do occasionally fall off the shaft, but i've not heard of any fauilures on the TDCI engine til now!

Some VAG cars are a different matter though!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Actually it's not the impellar - but the drive spline to the pump from the power steering pump - all mangled and not driving - after only 35k miles.

Still, all resolved through the last few months of my Ford warranty.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Evans