Mondeo TDCi Views

Hi,

Thinking of changing the 406 2.1 TD for a Mondeo TDCi. I have looked at both a Ghia and a Ghia X. The X is 2 years old BUT has 83k on the clock and the ghia is 2.5 years old with 66k. I think both are 130 HP variants.

Any views on either of these? What mileage should the cambelt be changed?

Thanks,

Mark

Reply to
Mark

make sure they've had the handbrake recall

Reply to
dojj

Typical ford turbo diesel, no power followed by full power delivery, with nothing in between.

No cambelt. Chain driven, also with the classic ford rattle.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Engine: Great. No belt, it's chain drive. Lots of poke. Masses of torque. Has pretty much the road speed/gear behaviour of my old 2.0 petrol.

As for the toss-up between the Ghia and Ghia X, the X has everything that the Ghia has, plus fully electric drivers seat (buttons & motors rather than levers to pull), leather seats all round, plus bigger wheels that need more expensive tyres.

My Mondeo is now 2 years old, and it's a very early facelift model (Sony head unit rather than the Ford 6006 unit).

I'd *personally* go for the facelift model. You get a lot more toys with it!

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Chain cam AFAIK

Reply to
Chris Street

and it's got a fair amount of poke I had my bosses tdci estate with 6 speeds and it was good on the motorway and outhandled the vetra sri I had a few weeks later on a track I would say it would have been neck and neck, but on the road the mondeo was miles quicker round corners before the traction control and stability stuff kicked in, the vectra was dangerous in those conditions

it's also got huge amounts of space in the rear as well as a fairly cavernous boot with standard equipment being fairly comprehensive if you are getting the 130 version then you are more than likely going to get the subtle faclifted version

Reply to
dojj

Yeah - can't run them on chip fat. THe injectors don't like it.

Reply to
Conor

And if you run proper biodiesel instead of SVO?

Reply to
Chris Street

See Conors answer about chip fat :-)

The manual says absolutely no more than 5% biodiesel to normal diesel.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Which isn't the same as SVO that's been reprocessed and treated with methoxide.

Which is lawyer-backside covering - the same pumps are used on German cars that can take biodiesel AFAIK. Not sure about the injector system though.

Reply to
Chris Street

BMW engines are not compatible. Don't know about Mercedes.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Heh.

Wrong.

Reply to
DervMan

Either / or why, if the handbook says don't run it on more than five percent biodiesel, don't do it.

Reply to
DervMan

Wrong in what way? The TDCI is chain driven.

Reply to
SimonJ

The rattle bit! I was cut off whilst writing. :-/

Reply to
DervMan