Mondeo Temp Guage

I notice the coolant temp gauge doesn't get past about 1/4, and when ignition is switched off, it stays where it was. Once ignition on again, it will drop back to cold if the engine has cooled down before rising up to again a max of 1/4. Accepting it's cold weather now, I'd have thought it would fluctuate a bit.

Engine seems to come up to temp nicely. Fan operates as it should, although sometimes it seems to come on when the engine is stone cold, on starting.

Thoughts??

I guess I can check the gauge easily enough by earthling it - anyone know which of the two wires to earth?

Many thanks - Mike.

Reply to
MikeB

The issue with the guages staying put where they were when you switch the engine off is a Ford thing. My Escort does it too, for both temperature and fuel guages.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the guage not rising above the 1/4 mark. My Zetec never seems to get particularly hot and flustered regardless of the weather either. On the other hand, I suppose the fan coming on when the engine is cold could indicate a duff or disconnected thermostat - but I will leave more knowledgable people than me on here to give you a propper diagnosis.

Reply to
EvB

These days it seems that Ford gauges stay where they are when you switch 'em off....don't worry about it.

When I had my Mondy the temp gauge read low, but everything seemed fine. But I changed the engine thermostat and the gauge promptly stabilised at around middle range after that. But nothing else altered with the car...everything continued to work fine, performance, consumption, heating etc.

Some months later the gauge started reading low again, but all else ok. In the end over about 3 years that car had 4 new thermostats in it. They all started off reading at around centre gauge, but all ended up reading low after a few months. So I took the hint and never replaced it again after that.

So on my experience, if everything else is ok with your car I would just ignore the low reading.

Reply to
Jeff