Mondeo wont start

Went out to start the car yesterday and it just made a clicking sound when I tried to turn it over. All the electrics were still working. Tried it again this morning and it was completely dead. I took the battery off and put it on charge but its showing up as having a full charge. I have removed the boot light as I know they have a habit of sticking on. Any ideas? i thought maybe the starter motor yesterday but that wouldn't explain the electrics not working, could it possibly be the alternator?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Ian R

Reply to
Ian Runci

First step will be to get a known good battery (not your one) If it has exactly the same fault with another battery on, then find the starter motor and give it a whack with a hammer, if it then starts, the likely fault is starter motor brushes, if it doesn't then hotwire the starter, if it still doesn't go it is the starter motor. If it goes with a hotwire it may be a wiring or starter switch fault.

My bet is the battery.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

If it was the starter motor wouldn't the electrics be working as long as the battery was ok?

Reply to
Ian Runci

It was you that said that the battery was good therefore the starter motor would be the next thing to check

The other thing that I would check if the other battery does not solve the problem would be the earth lead from the battery to chassis and engine block

As to you question about the alternator yes it has the possibility of being faulty and draining the battery or failing to charge the battery, but as you said that the battery showed fully charged, the alternator would have no influence on the initial starting of the engine

Tony

Reply to
TMC

minor lights and things can be operated with a torch battery (or a weak or flat car battery), but it won't start an engine !! If the alternator is faulty it could let or even cause the battery to go flat.

You could always take your battery to a car shop and ask them to test it for you, this would usually be free.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

"Ian Runci" wrote in news:467a7e5e$1 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com:

Listen to Mr. Cheerful, it does sound like a buggered battery to me.

Reply to
Stuart G Gray

Switch the headlights on then turn the starter over. If the headlights dim signifigantly the battery is shagged.

Reply to
Blue Meany 1

Of course it's 'free'. They all tell you it's shagged anyway so they can sell you a new one.

Reply to
Blue Meany 1