----- Original Message -----

From: "johngood" Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.cars.misc Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 11:17 AM Subject: unusual immobilizer system problem

My 1994 Corolla 1.3 GLi has an unusual engine immobilizer that is now > playing up. It has a little rectangular key with three brass strip > contacts on each side that you insert into a little rectangular key hole > and then jiggle up and down (not turn it). > > When it was giving trouble up a few years ago I squirted some 'contact > cleaner' into the hole and it then did the trick, but doing the same again > is now not helping. Sometimes I can sit there jiggling the key up and down > for ages, before the light goes out and I can start the engine. > > I would like to *disconnect* this system, but I'm assuming (being a > complete novice), that security systems are not designed to be 'easily' > bypassed. > If I mess up, I guess I could run into serious trouble? > > The previous owner said that he didn't think it was factory installed when > the car was new, but was done subsequently by a Toyota dealer. It has > stickers on the windows saying this has a Toyota installed security > system. > But my local Toyota Main Agents here in North West London do not recognize > this electronic key, neither do locksmiths that sell immobilizer keys. > > If anyone recognizes this type of key, or can advise on the best course of > action I would be grateful. Thanks
Reply to
johngood_____

I'd guess the key unit on the dash is just a set of contacts with a control unit somewhere else, and that the wires are ground, supply and serial data.

If I'm right, all you'll achieve by messing with the key contacts is possibly destroying something. You'll have to trace the wires to the control unit, find out how it works and bypass it.

Morse

Reply to
Morse

What ^ said. It's an aftermarket immobilizer, and there will be a control box somewhere. Trace the wires to the control box, then trace the wires from the control box to where they've been spliced into the original loom. Disconnect the immobilizer wires, reconnect the original wiring how it should be, and everything should work.

Although the control box is probably hidden in some awkward hard to get to corner.

Reply to
moray