more starting trouble

...hoping my cambelt isn't not be involved in this...

Hyundai Accent, S reg (70k on the clock, cambelt changed at 40k)

When I turn the ignition, I can't hear the starter motor as such, just what sounds like a hammer drill under the bonnet :-}

I'm hoping it might just be a chattering solenoid...

Anyone able to offer a glimmer of hope ?

TIA :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

FWIW the alternator doesn't turn when I turn the ignition / get the noise, and I can't hear the starter motor turn - IIRC if the cambelt goes, you get quite an audible "whirring" sound after it's clunked all the valves :-} (am I right in that ?)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

usually, yes, it will whirr.

your problem sounds more battery related, first try a jump start.

other possibles are loose leads, fractured connectors, those sort of things.

Eliminate the obvious first, then look for the awkward, you can try jump leads straight onto the starter for instance.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

In message , Colin Wilson writes

Well I don't know anything about Hyundais but the alternator will be driven off the crank so the whole bottom end isn't turning. Its most likely your starter motor or at worst a problem with the flywheel. I don't think you should be worrying about your cambelt.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

I can confirm from experience that some contactors (relays if you like) will chatter away with a low battery. When they close the extra load that the starter motor adds causes a voltage drop, which then means the contactor does not have enough voltage applied to stay closed. Then the contactor opens again, and the battery voltage rises - and of course the contactor can then close another time. Hence the chatter.

Reply to
Andy Larder

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

Flat Battery.

Reply to
Steev

Sounds like the starter isn't engaging properly.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Thanks for the replies everyone - the RAC landed 2 hours after I called (...) and it turned over first time on a jump - the battery was changed earlier today :-)

Reply to
Colin Wilson