Most reliable car of all time???

Any thoughts.

I'd say Toyota Avensis (Although (sadly) never owned one)

Reply to
Matt

Don't really care - if the only thing you can say about a car is that it's reliable.....

Why sadly? - they're just about the dullest car ever produced.

I'd rather drive a diesel Maestro.

Reply to
SteveH

In what way. I have a friend who owns one and it is lovely.

Steve, even I dont think that you're being totally honest! I had a Montego which was comfortable. But crap.

Reply to
Matt

'Lovely'. That just about sums things up.

'Reliable' and 'lovely'.

Crap, they may be, but they have infinitely more character than an Avensis.

Reply to
SteveH

Having character is a great thing. But being a character at 2am on the hard shoulder on a December's morning?. Give me lovely!!!

Reply to
Matt

"Matt" wrote in news:Traoi.572$4_3.75 @fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

In my personal experience, a Volvo 740.

Reply to
Stuart G Gray

You sick bastard.

Reply to
SteveH

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

I got overtaken by one of them yesterday! Shame they never put the turbo Prima in it - it'd have been rather nice.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

My old Montego's still going, still lugging five kids about, still towing the caravan, still climing the pass from Rhigos to Treherbert, still starting every time. Sometimes wish I hadn't flogged it!

Reply to
Guy King

Erm, they did, didn't they?

Very late on, though - in 1992.

Reply to
SteveH

My first car was a 1.2 Corolla, the old S reg, it was the same as the white one Lumley used to drive in The (new?) Avengers but in bright orange.

It looked like shit but never ceased to amaze me, unfortunately it met it's demise when my d*****ad mate drove it into a tree.

Reply to
R D S

My ex boss had a corolla executive that he drove for a month with the rad hoses connected together because the rad eventually failed after 6 MOTs had "advised" him about external radiator corrosion.

He was cheap he couldn't find a seconhand corolla radiator he was willing splash out on for so long.

He would just top it up somehow at the start and end of each drive.

He had the car for 10 years and it was his only car until he bought a merc AMG.

Reply to
Elder

Nedavno R D S napisa:

I often find this sort of information in uk.* newsgroups, but I found no information on UK car registration system.

Can you explain? What is S reg? N reg?

Reply to
Yvan

It's a bit complicated as there are several systems in existence. Try here

and here
for a full explanation.

Reply to
asahartz

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

Really? I thought they only did the non-turbo in the Maestro.

Reply to
Guy King

I googled for it, and that's what I found.

Could be wrong, I suppose.

Reply to
SteveH

Nedavno asahartz napisa:

Woooow, what a complicated system(s).

Over here (Serbia) it's two letters for a city (like BG for Belgrade) and five or six numbers (depending of size of the city).

Reply to
Yvan

In news:Traoi.572$4 snipped-for-privacy@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Matt wittered on forthwith;

I've never known a properly serviced Avensis to break down either.

They're dull but infinately capable, good on fuel and comfy too.

Most reliable car I've ever owned was a truly horrible old Datsun Bluebird

1.8. Bought it for £60 when it was about 12 years old from a friends dad who'd had it from new. It had 70k miles or so on the clock and needed a clutch - not the cars fault as the clutch had been slipped in the bloody thing everywhere it'd been driven by his wife. Clutch cost £40 and took about half an hour to fit. I owned it when I was severely skint and living in a flat that was above my budget. Drove the Bluebird for about 6 months and did zero servicing to it apart from front brake pads. Totally 100% reliable in every way no matter how badly abused.

I later discovered from my mate that his dad had never had the thing serviced in the 13 years he'd had it. Not one oil change, no plugs, even the battery was the original one. It had had an exhaust and a set of tyres though.

Reply to
Pete M

I guess we just have so many more cars here! I've driven in France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, even the dreaded Paris Peripherique at 5pm. Nowhere have I ever found the roads as congested as in Britain.

Reply to
asahartz

Nedavno asahartz napisa:

You certainly have more cars than over here. But I guess you could find a simpler system for registration. I wonder how is it in the EU. I noticed that some of the members have similar (if not the same) registration system, the only difference is the (small) country sign in front.

But I guess that you (being British) had to stick to your tradition, and have the system similar to the original one from 1904.

Reply to
Yvan