MOT and SORN question

Assume one had a SORN'd vehicle stored off road. The MOT expired a couple of years ago, and that's when it was SORN'd.

Now it's more or less ready to go back on the road after a huge amount of welding and suchlike, but it's possible that other work is also required - maybe a tyre or two and a brake pipe etc...

Now, if one wanted to bung it in for the MOT, to see what it fails on, to target ones resources to fix the right bits, is one allowed to drive it to and from a booked MOT while it's still SORN'd - bearing in mind that after the MOT it might continue to be SORN'd for another month or so while everything is fixed up? In fact it's possible it could be SORN'd for another 2 or 3 months after the MOT - depending on circumstances.

How near does the MOT station have to be? The one in our villages is famously staffed by fuckwits who fail everything (unless it's a vehicle they are selling and they seem to pass OK with no brakes) just to be bastards.

I'd like to take it to a garage opposite my workplace as they know this type of vehicle well and would likely be ideal to do any repairs I couldn't do - but they are 50 miles away - would driving it that far for a booked MOT be seen as taking the piss?

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

""macn7"

If the garage fails the car it's possible it may prevent you from taking it home again until it's put right. This would apply if there was a potential danger, like no brakes, or the chassis has cracked.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

Both of which would also stop you taking a taxed car away.

Peter Hill

But if the car has no serious faults and can be put right while visiting the MOT station, then there is no reason why the car should be driving further on the road as un-MOT'ed and untaxed.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

The owner of a car that failed an MOT at a local garage was told the vehicle was unsafe to drive on public roads, but was allowed to drive it when the owner signed a bit of paper to say they had been notified of it's condition.

Personally, I feel this was a cop-out, and any garage that does this type of thing should be barred from doing MOT's. If a vehicle is dangerous it should be impounded for the safety of the public.

Fatsod

Reply to
FatSod

At who's cost? Many MOT places have no storage space anyway. And giving that power to the unscrupulous would be crazy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That could easily be counted as theft. Plus who would pay for the storage of the vehicle? Surely it's the OWNER of the car that is responsible for taking it on the road. If a 3rd Party was responsible then the owner could get away with anything.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

The message from "FatSod" contains these words:

You'd have to change the law to allow it - it'd be theft by deprivation or whatever it's called as things stand.

Reply to
Guy King

Always a possibility - although I think it's unlikely (now) having just stripped it to hell and rewelded and replaced huge chunks of chassis and bulkhead...

The only odds and sods I am aware of is that the front tyres are a bit marginal and a brake pipe looks a bit suss - which, if they are the only failure items, I'll get them to do while it's there.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

That would make the garage a legal part of the judicial process. The drivers the legally responsible person, there's nothing to stop said garage informing plod.

Reply to
DuncanWood