MOT and windscreen satnav holder

I put my car in for its MOT Today and it passed BUT when I collected it the stick on holder for the satnav had been removed and left on the seat.

There was a note saying that the tester wouldn't pass the car with it in place.

Are they just being over cautious or is this correct? If so why are such holders allowed to be sold?

This was a main dealer garage.

Reply to
Episode One

It depends where you stick it.

Duncan Wood

Episode One gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It was probably obstructing the driver's vision.

the MOT rules.

They're allowed to be sold because the manufacturers presume that the driver will have enough gumption to stick it somewhere it doesn't block their view. A forlorn hope, I know, given the number of fuckwits seen on the roads with them stuck slap bang in front of their noses.

Reply to
Adrian

Seems reasonable if the holder was interfering with vision by the stds of the MOT.

They don't have to be stuck on the screen in a place where they interfere with safe vision. IMO the satnav screen, sucker etc, should be below normal eye level.

Why should that make any difference? Mike.

Reply to
Miike G

The tester may not have been able to ascertain whether there was any damage under the holder, for example a stone chip.

Regards

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I'm constantly amazed at the number of people who think the middle of the windcreen, either 6in above the dash, or 6in below the rear view mirror is acceptable placement.

I've had satnav for years now - in fact, I had GPS before SatNav existed

- but I've always mounted it to the right of the steering wheel, as low down as possible, so it effectively becomes an extension of the instrument pod.

Reply to
SteveH

"Miike G" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I tend to put 'em in the very top left corner of the 'screen. Out of normal eyeline, least likely to interfere with anything visually, but quick and easy to glance at.

Reply to
Adrian

I know bent MOT testers are pretty rare these days but I (naively) thought there was zero chance of finding one at a main dealer.

Reply to
Episode One

Same here. I mount mine at the bottom r/h side of the w/s, so it doesn't create a dangerous blind spot. I also only use the voice feature to guide me, so don't need to look at the screen whilst driving. Mike.

Reply to
Miike G

Possibly a touch overzealous, but within his rights, as it obscures your view of the road. It depends on the position and the tester's opinion as to whether it is a "significant" obstruction of youre view.

Also, technically, the MOT garage are not allowed to perform any work on the vehicle during the test, so they should have given you the opportunity to remove it before issuing a certificate.

Technically, you are breaking the law by fixing *anything* not of an officially approved nature to your windscreen. In practice, the roadside enforcement agencies ignore anything that does not cause any danger, in the opinion of the person doing the enforcement.

Reply to
John Williamson

RHD/LHD ? Which?

Reply to
the realfictitious

It is indeed correct. Basically anything which obscures vision through the swept area the wiper blades cover is illegal.

They're allowed to be sold the same way illegal numberplates are. The items themselves are not illegal, just the way they're used.

Reply to
Conor

we have to test vehicles as presented & if it had a sat nav holder or any other object (including furry dice & smelly trees from the mirror) in the drivers view per the mot testers manual he should have failed it or at least issued a P.R.S. we are not allowed to remove the items prior to the test thats down to the vehicle presenter.

but i know how he feels, i must get 2 or 3 a day with stuff hanging from the mirror or stuck on the screen & give the vehicle presenter the option of removing before the test.

Reply to
reg

In that position you will not be able to benefit from a passenger using it on the fly.

My holder is in the bottom centre of the windscreen. It completely blocks my view of part of the bonnet of my car. Thus the only road users that it can prevent me seeing are small ones that I have already collided with.

Reply to
Cynic

Not over zealous at all. Every VOSA inspector at roadside checkpoints pull you up for them.

Reply to
Conor

John Williamson gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Bearing in mind the tester probably didn't see the car before the OP had left the garage, I don't think any reasonable person would have a problem with "If that was left there, it'd have failed, so I removed it". It really is the common-sense approach from the tester.

Reply to
Adrian

Episode One gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The only thing that the tester did that wasn't by the book was to remove it and pass the car. That's called "doing you a favour". Next time, I hope he doesn't bother.

Reply to
Adrian

That is exactly where mine is (Puggy 206). I can't see that it was blocking anything but I'm not going to argue with an MOT tester.

Reply to
Episode One

the snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

RHD.

Reply to
Adrian

Well they're supposed to ask you if you want to remove it, they might have made a radical ssumption.

Reply to
Duncan Wood