MOT anti rollbar failure reason confusion

My Vectra has just failed it's MOT with the item listed exactly as written:

Nearside front (and split rubber) Anti-roll bar linkage has excessive play in a ball joint [2.4.G.2]

I get the play in the ball joint - it's the reference to "split rubber" that I'm not sure about. "Nearside front (and split rubber)..." doesn't seem to make sense when I read it.

Is it that the rubber on the ball joint is split, or is it that a split-rubber has play - perhaps the one that clamps the anti-rollbar to the subframe?

Thoughts?

Thanks Paul

Reply to
Paul M

Have a look...?

But I'd take it to mean "excessive play (and split rubber)"

In a way, it's academic - whatever's meant, you need a droplink.

Reply to
Adrian

If they are anything like the Corsa the Mode of failure, is rubber splits, s**te gets in causes wear and thus the excess wear and the the corsa rattle.

Reply to
Tom Burton

Yup, that's how it was on the last MOT on daughters 2001 Corsa. One rubber split on one end of one droplink link but I changed them both (sides) anyway (as they were cheap and easy to get to).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

As of a couple of years ago, any split on a rubber covering a ball joint etc is a fail - even although there is no play. Yet.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The mechanic typed 'Nearside front (and split rubber)' and then selected [2.4.G.2] which put the standard text in the wrong place.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan