MOT - brakes

How far does the MOT go on checking over brakes? My car's been stood for a good while now (since last August), and the disks and pads are looking a bit ropey - pads are getting a bit thin, disks are rusty. Now, after a couple of hard stops, the disks should start looking a bit better, but what are the actual pass / fail criteria.

And, before everyone jumps on me, I don't want to drive a car with dodgy brakes. I'm planning on swapping the brakes for some bigger ones ASAP, so I want to know whether I need to do this before or after the MOT, as I don't intend to swap all the pads, disks etc. on a set of brakes I'm going to take off in a month...

Reply to
Doki

Any help?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Doki ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

As with every other MOT query, the answer is motuk.co.uk

So why not just do that now?

Reply to
Adrian

Cheers. Clarifies things a bit

Because it means stripping the suspension / hub carriers etc. of my 16V, cleaning up all the parts, and swapping them all over to the current car. And sending the calipers off to be refurbed, or refurbing them myself. It's just not practical in the timeframe that I want to get the car MOTed in, as it needs a lot of other jobs doing to it.

And from the looks of the MOT site, I'm well within legality with the brakes, as long as they're not rusted so badly as to be pitted, which I don't think they will be once they've had a bit of work.

Reply to
Doki

Corrosion, scoring and the lip on discs. Pad and shoe thickness where visible. Splits on flexis and corrosion on pipes.

I personally would do the upgrade.

Reply to
Conor

Matter of time - the bits need to come off the other car, get cleaned up, refurbed as neccesary and reassembled, and I don't want to be setting about the job without all the parts ready and tidy before they go on, as it always ends up a bit of a nightmare that way. As I've said before, there's nothing hugely wrong with the brakes that are on it, barring rust from lack of use.

Reply to
Doki

"Doki" wrote in news:46860552$0$12673$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk:

As long as the calipers and pistons go in and out like they are meant to, the rust on the disks will vanish PDQ. I have a ZX estate which sits on the drive all winter every year until it is called into use as a camping/getting rid of bits of garden lugger in the summer. Never has a problem with it.

Reply to
Stuart G Gray