MoT exemption?

I own a 1958 recovery truck (less than 3500kg). Can anyone tell me if this truck is MoT exempt. As I understand it, it is exempt under section 44(3) of the 1988 Road Traffic Act (Special Vehicles). Can anyone confirm or deny this rumour?? Also if it's 1958 it should be tax exempt. But this would mean it holding a taxation class of 'historic vehicle' not 'recovery vehicle' or can I have both??

Reply to
Duncan

Duncan ( snipped-for-privacy@wardun.freeserve.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Is there likely to be a big problem with it passing an MOT?

If not, just live with it. £40 a year's hardly a huge expense, and it's a useful "Have I missed anything?" condition check.

If there is going to be a big problem, then you've got to ask yourself if it really ought to be on the road...

Reply to
Adrian

Naaah, you are missing the point. Me being a classic car entheusiast, we always like to have something different. Having MoT exemption would not result in a reduction in maintainence, I try my best to keep my cars defect free at all times and find the MoT is more of a rubber stamp than an annual condition check. I just want to know. My only reason for having an MoT exempt vehicle is "because I can". Call me an anarchist if you like!! (My mate has a fire engine, so we are all a bit strange) P.S. The recovery truck is a basket case!! So I am looking at a complete nut and bolt restoration. That is, once I have convinced DVLA that they have typed the wrong chassis number on the log book. They don't like admitting mistakes.

Reply to
Duncan

Get a form V22/G which shows which classes of vehicle are exempt from MOT , this only applies to vehicles OVER 3500kg and there are many reasons for exemption , Bin lorries , Play busses etc etc . Recovery vehicles are certainly exempt MOT testing if over 3500kg. You'll find that if its under

3500 Kg then its NOT exempt MOT testing. The reason for this is that the HGV test is much more stringent than a regular car MOT and there fore its not relevant to some classes of vehicle Eg a play bus muight only do 20 miles a week , a normal bus does hundreds.

Steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

You can claim mot exempt for recovery vehicles: "Such vehicles are exempt from the MOT test if they are constructed such that they tow vehicles that they are recovering rather than carry them." You should find that if the log book says breakdown vehicle as body type you are ok.

However, you may find that you can only legally use the vehicle while actually attending a breakdown. (my brother encountered problems with a lorry mounted crane, he could only legally use it to travel between jobs that needed the crane !!!

The tax exempt bit is purely on age so that should be ok.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

No, recovery trucks have not been MOT exempt for at least 12 years now, it was changed when it was also required to have them registered (this was due to the abuse of Trade Plates were people were using the recovery truck as there daily transport).

I try my best to keep my

Now they are a special case if it's fully working, especially if registered on the reserve stock, AIUI it gives you all sorts of strange rights and exemptions !...

Reply to
Jerry.

Duncan ( snipped-for-privacy@wardun.freeserve.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Agreed, but it's always nice to have a fresh pair of eyes have a double- check.

Knowing my local post office, it'd cause more problems than it'd be worth... "Yes, I want a tax disc. No, it's free. No, you don't need to see an MOT. You don't. Really. No, not at all. Honest. Look, just give me that tax disc. Please! PLEASE! "

Reply to
Adrian

Yes. When these sort of vehicles become 'hobby' or classic the law is rather unclear. IIRC, you can drive a bus as a private vehicle without the appropriate PSV or whatever licence.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Although you do need to satisfy the weight requirement of the driver licensing laws - people who have passed the car and light vehicle test [1] since (IIRC) 01/01/1996 can't drive any vehicle over 3500kg (3.5t) without first passing a 'medium goods vehicle test'.

[1] or have not retained Grand-father Rights granted by holding that licence.
Reply to
Jerry.

OOOH just found this:

"vehicles built for commercial purposes pre 1960 are exempt by age. All you need is proof of age and to fill in the exemption form that will be given to you by the licencing office. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that just because it's MOT exempt, doesn't mean it can be unroadworthy. God help you if you crash and it has something like faulty brakes!!!

HTH

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Is there a weight given for this or is it just 'vehicles built for commercial purposes', if so, how about a 1959 Morris Minor van - well that was 'built for commercial purposes'.....

I doubt it is as clear cut as your excerpt makes it seem.

Reply to
Jerry.

Hmmm. "commercial" sounds a bit loose. As it is based around a land rover series 1 it is not "commercial" in the sense that a lorry would be. There may be some hope though, as it is a crane type. ....just gone to check the V5, the body type is listed as "pick-up" and *taxation* class "recovery vehicle". So the body type is not listed as recovery truck. But then again what do DVLA know!!! The 2.0L engine is listed as

2500cc (yes the engine numbers match) and the chassis number is incorrect and the colour is wrong!!! (I see a future of many letters to DVLA)
Reply to
Duncan

So Are you saying that prior to this legislation recovery trucks did not need to be registered? 'cos that may explain why it was registed in 1989 and holds a Q Plate. ( I'm almost excited now!!)

Reply to
Duncan

A lot were never registered (and obviously no road tax paid), and were run on Trade Plates.

As for the MOT, obviously when there is not record of the vehicle they didn't need an MOT, but any vehicle driven on trade plates has to be 'road worthy' and not a danger - Now I've been thinking about all this and I'm sure that all recovery trucks now has to be registered (in fact IIRC any road going vehicle has to be registered or have markings that indicate who is responsible for it [1]) and any recovery truck that will carry passengers other then those employed to operate it needs an MOT.

Why ? You will not be able to run without registration plates and nor will you be able to get Trade Plates - some of the trade have problems keeping theirs now days !

[1] again IIRC there are special rules governing agricultural vehicles and trailers.
Reply to
Jerry.

DVLA are well versed in what is and is not a crane, recovery truck or pick up. I suspect you should be able to get tax exemption but I doubt very much that you will get an MOT exemption. After all it is basically a series 1 Land Rover and not a purpose designed / built mobile crane...

Reply to
Jerry.

Well it *is* a recovery truck and i believe has been all its life, I am trying to dig up some history. I bet you will find very few recovery trucks are built in the factory, especially in the 1950's. My mates fire engine is 'basically a series 1 landrover' but it doesn't stop it being a fully functional fire engine. same for the ambulance etc... They built everything out of land-rovers you know....a bit like LEGO they are.

You can't knock a man for trying.....if theres an exemption out there I'll get it! Anyone know of any insurance exemptions......... :-)

Reply to
Duncan

But recovery trucks need MOT's, mobile cranes don't, and it doesn't mater a lot that once upon a time recovery trucks got away with out needing MOT's (if one takes that view to it's logical conclusion and any car built before the introduction of the MOT test would be exempt too !).

And your point is, as I said, fully functional fire engines that are on the reserve register have exemptions and privileges so that they can be 'called up' in times of emergencies.

I can only think of one reason why someone would want an MOT exemption for a hobby vehicle, I expect the DVLA will take the same view....

Reply to
Jerry.

As I said earlier you need to look at a form V22G , from the DVLA s view point "commercial" Starts at 3500kg, so a sign written moggy van isnt going to do it. just as a point the pre 1960 mot exemption also states " and not used laden or towing a laden trailer". I have had some problems getting a definition of "laden" but basically if the vehicle is used commercially then the MOT exemption does not apply. Obviouslyt you are OK to drive to shows etc empty or even carrying some of your own crap , but if you go and pick up 4 tonnes of sand for a mate , then I guess you are breaking the law. In a 1950's truck you use the gears to regulate your speed and the brakes to pull up . Back then HGV's were limited to 20 mph. Steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

Well, any breakdown truck I've seen shares its basic chassis with another vehicle.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Yes, if under 3500kg, not really if over 3500kg - those vehicles always have a purpose built 'body' [1], < 3500kg are normally conversions IYSWIM.

[1] what ever it's use is going to be, although there are a few exceptions to this - such as the 5000kg Merc or Renault panel vans.
Reply to
Jerry.