MOT Question re validity of certificate

I had my Rover Diesel car MOT'd 2 days ago The certificate shows the fuel type as Petrol Today I brought it to the attention of the testing station who have contacted VOSA and tried to get it changed In short it appears that I have to take it up with VOSA myself since it seems to have been due to a computer system error.

Is this a known problem or have I been unlucky

Is my certificate valid Can I tax my car online.

Regards to all and TIA

Reply to
Major Isewarter

hmmm more then likey an operator error rather then a computer error, as you get a drop down box listing the fuel type, as far as im aware there's no known computer problems relating to the fuel discription. they are right in saying you have to get vosa to change any details as you have 24hours to bring it to the attention of the testing station & have any details changed & a replacement certificate issued after that its locked into the system.

Reply to
reg

id say contact vosa as well, but as you had the mot done, its down to the garage to sort it, as its their mistake, either in entry, or not checking the details.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

Just my luck ... however is it 24 hours or the end of the next working day, that locks the data into the system The reason I ask is that I informed the testing station around mid-day today

Reply to
Major Isewarter

Same here. The MOT says its a 9000 CDE, but it's a CSE. The difference is that a CDE is a 4 door salon while my car is a 5 door hatch.

I have looked at the web site

but there is no way you can change an error. Isn't it typical for such online IT projects that you can do everything except correcting one of THEIR errors, because they don't make any...

I suppose it's my fault and I will have to 'repair' my car into a CDE.

Reply to
Johannes

After discussions with VOSA I am taking my documents to the Test station tomorrow who will then fax copies of them to VOSA whereupon the computer will be updated and a new certificate will be issued.

I'm not taking any bets on the outcome ...

Regards

Reply to
Major Isewarter

I considered leaving well alone and putting it down to a clerical/operator error but then I began to wonder how I would react if I were buying a car with such inconsistencies recorded on an official database that is online for all to see.

Reply to
Major Isewarter

The Test Station cannot alter the fuel-type once the certificate has been issued.

Your local VOSA office can, though. They will be able to correct the database. The Test Station will then be able to print out a 'duplicate' certificate with the amended fuel-type entry.

NT

Won't the fuel type influence the emissions tests? Arn't there vastly different emissions limits for petrol and diesel?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

it would have been tested correctly regarding the emissions as it would take a complete idiot to plug a diesel car onto a petrol gas analyser or vice versa, you get a seperate print-out with your certificate, it was the data entered into the computer that was wrong.

Reply to
reg

That's right, the emissions test computers (Exhaust Gas Analyser & Smoke Meter) are totally separate to the MOT Computer (aka VTS Device). They were to be linked to the Smart Card, but that has been shelved!

It is very easy to select the wrong fuel type on the VTS Device. The Nominated Tester has 'drop-down' boxes to chose from, but if the fuel type is still highlighted when he/she uses the mouse scroll button to move down the page, then the fuel will change.

Reply to
NT

I duly presented myself and my documentation at the Test Station (during my lunch break) but didn't have time to wait for the database to be updated - However I had a 'phone call during the aftrnoon to say that my replacement MOT certificate was ready for collection ... since I live out in the sticks approx 22 miles from the test station I opted for a postal delivery - I expect it will arrive Monday

Reply to
Major Isewarter

Ah right. For some reason I assumed that 'computerised' meant 'sanely computerised' :) Thanks.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

The message from Ian Stirling contains these words:

But it's a goverment project.

Reply to
Guy King

Indeed. I have no idea what I was thinking :)

Reply to
Ian Stirling