MOT Requirement. Reverse Lights?

My MOT is due soon and I've not got round to fixing the reversing lights on my Mondeo. I believe the switch is faulty and the local dealers PC system couldn't make up it's mind if I needed a switch or module as my cars VIN didn't allow him to check. Bloody dealer... I need to crawl around under the car checking closer myself now...

On checking the MOT requirements I didn't see anything stating they are tested. I guess they might fall into the "Fitted so must work" category, but could anyone confirm?

Rv!

Reply to
Rv!

Rv! ( snipped-for-privacy@invalid.ok) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Congrats!

There's your answer, then.

If they were even remotely testable, they'd be listed, together with fail criteria. If it's not in there, it can't fail on it.

Reply to
Adrian

up it's mind if

anyone confirm?

It's not a testable item so you'll be fine.

Unless of course yours is stuck in the on position thus giving you a permanently-on rear-facing white light - then I think you might fail.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

up it's mind if

anyone confirm?

That ones easy - out with the bulbs!! (Unless you have to remove the bumper with a tooth pick, whilst holding your nostrils closed and one eye closed......which is how tricky bulb changes seem to be getting!)

Reply to
Matthew Millichap

I *can't* really believe that can be the case thou' - u?

Reply to
Matthew Millichap

Yeah...God, anyone would think the bastards were designing cars to try to make money out of you... ;-)

Reply to
Vim Fuego

up it's mind if

anyone confirm?

Reverse lights are not subject to the MOT test.

Even if they are permanently stuck on, they cannot fail ! (madness or what ?)

Reply to
NT

You know that thread on welded bonnets...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I do - oh yes I do.....

Reply to
Matthew Millichap

lights on my Mondeo.

make up it's mind if

could anyone confirm?

Agreed. I recently had my MOT and watched all through the rear lights test and not once did the reversing lights come on. Plenty of brake/indicator combinations, but no white light.

bucket

Reply to
bucket

my Mondeo.

up it's mind if

anyone confirm?

Aside from the MOT issue, if you were driving round with the reverse light stuck on wouldn't you get pulled by the rozzers? I always thought you couldn't have a rear-facing white light (unless illuminated only whilst reversing)...?

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

IIRC a couple of years or 5 ago Fiat were going to produce a car with precisely that feature. The only access engine wise was for topping up water levels. I know modern cars are much more reliable than cars were 20 years ago but a no access Fiat!

Reply to
Malc

Malc ( snipped-for-privacy@lightindigooverthere.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You thinking of the Audi A2? Bonnet firmly fixed, top-ups accessible through the fold-down grille.

Adrian

Adrian wrote: [...]

The bonnets not firmly fixed at all, a twist of 2 fixings and the whole thing comes off.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong