MOT Test.

I was looking at the Tester's Manual on

and was surprised that there was no mention of the need for a working speedometer which I understood was a legal requirement and a sine qua non for the MOT.

My odometer has packed up and I'm wondering whether that will make it fail the MOT test automatically.

Reply to
Alasdair

You are correct. There is no requirement for a car to have a speedometer or mileometer for MOT purposes.

Visit The MOT Forum:

NT

The message from Alasdair contains these words:

Is there a number showing? If so, how is the tester to know it's not correct?

Reply to
Guy King

Is it one of those things like the spare - if it's fitted, it has to work?

How about accuracy testing, I don't recall seeing anything about that on the MOT either...

Reply to
PC Paul

Alasdair ( snipped-for-privacy@bobaxter.coo.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It is required for Construction & Use. It is not testable in the MOT.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from "PC Paul" contains these words:

That's a myth, too.

Reply to
Guy King

Hmm. The manual says it's just an 'inform presenter' if the spare has a 'defective tyre' - so you can't fail on the spare *regardless* of size, type, condition etc.?

Reply to
PC Paul

No and no

Reply to
mrcheerful

No, it's not tested.

Reply to
Conor

The message from "PC Paul" contains these words:

If it were so large that it caused a hazard to other road users I suppose you could - or if it were insecure.

Reply to
Guy King

If it's the same as on the old MOT?

Reply to
Goff Deegle

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Goff Deegle wittered on forthwith;

S'not really an issue.

Reply to
Pete M

The message from Goff Deegle contains these words:

What do they care? Perhaps you didn't go anywhere.

No - they simply don't check it.

Reply to
Guy King

It is exactly like the spare tyre, not part of the test, and need not work or be legal whether or not it is fitted.

Reply to
SimonJ

Meaningless. I've owned a couple of classics that've done bugger all between MOT's and I've MOT'd a car with less mileage on than the previous test due to a speedo head change.

Reply to
Conor

Goff Deegle ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not an issue. I had a broken speedo cable on one car for two (or was it three?) consecutive MOTs.

I also have one vehicle that doesn't have and has never had a speedo or odo fitted - yet it passes the MOT fine.

Reply to
Adrian

about 5 years ago, i had a fail for a flat spare, and year before that, a spare with a cut in side wall, failed again. Has the rulle changed to forget/advice only about spare?

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

And sometimes they work for a tyre fitters...

Reply to
PC Paul

No, but MOT testers sometimes got it wrong.

Reply to
SimonJ

they cant fail on the spare

phone several mot stations and ask them if the spare can fail an mot.

or take it out of the car before going in for am mot.

Reply to
bongo rule