MOT with a warning light on the dash

Hi all, Stuck with very intermittent Internet access at the moment, so browsing isn't an option. Is a warning light on the dashboard an MOT fail these days? A check engine warning type light, with a stored error code?

It's not a serious issue, but to get the job done cheaply means waiting until after the MOT needs to be done.

Thanks in advance for your help :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

I had a car with the eml light on pass very recently. There was talk of it being included in the test in 2012, but afaik it has not been implemented yet.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Depends on what the light is for and the age of the car. My 2002 car had a tyre pressure warning light failure, but as that was only an option when it was built, it didn't matter. But a modern car with obligatory warnings fitted as standard has to have them all functioning. So there is no blanket answer.

Reply to
Davey

It's. 2005 car and the warning is for a flap that closes when the engine is turned off, to ensure the engine stops running. It doesn't make any difference to the car or it's safe running, and I've got a choice of having it repaired at a garage and paying full whack for the job before the MOT, or a friend doing it free except the cost of parts, but not for a couple of week when they're free :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Turns out that yes, it can pass as long as nothing else is wrong with it, so it's got the pass certificate :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

En el artículo , Simon Finnigan escribió:

I thought it was, but put my car through MOT yesterday and it passed. The light comes on for a few weeks, then goes out of its own accord, then comes on again some time later. I don't worry about it any more, but had wondered if it would be an MOT fail. It was on when I put the car in.

Got one of those Bluetooth OBD reader/resetters off eBay for 4 quid, but my iPhone doesn't see it. Googling suggests it might be Apple's proprietary Bluetooth stack at fault and to try something non-Apple.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson
[...]

AIUI, the plan was shelved due to the huge variation between models as to what the light represents.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

En el artículo , Chris Whelan escribió:

Interesting, thank you.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I've got VAG-COM for my car, but it needs a physical repair but it doesn't need doing in a rush, so it can wait until my neighbour can do the job for essentially free. :-)

For the iPhone, look for a wifi dongle. I looked into this and the bluetooth ones don't work, but ones with their own wifi will. You plug it in, give it a minute to boot up and then connect to the wifi connection and away you go. I've got one in each car so I can always check a fault code as soon as it pops up.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan