"Mota-Nu"

Does anyone remember a product called, I think "Mota-Nu". It was a drop in the fuel tank product consisting of metallic pellets in a fluid of some kind and there were amazing claims that it would solve all manner of worn engine problems and low compression. I was highly sceptical about it but as you do, decided to give it a go (in early

1970's). I had an old VW Beetle 1300 which had done over 100K. The top speed was no more than 60 and less if the wind was in the wrong direction! The unbelievable thing is that slowly but surely the performance improved steadily over the next few months and by the time I sold the car its top speed was 80+ with much much better acceleration and fuel consumption. I've never seen the product since or anything like it.
Reply to
pete

Why do I get the feeling that in your next post you are going to 'find' this product, and give us a url where we can buy it?

Reply to
SimonJ

In message , SimonJ writes

I was similarly sceptical particularly as a quick google archive check shows that the poster has no previous posting history.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Paul Giverin saying something like:

But... In the meantime, a team of dedicated fraudsters err... Research Scientists have been beavering away in a basement in Cheadlehume to bring us the latest in AMAZING ENGINE TECHNOLOGY.

Watch this space.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The message from snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk (pete) contains these words:

That probably tells you all you need to know. If it looks too good to be true - it probably is.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Paul Giverin contains these words:

The worlds is full of sock-puppets!

Reply to
Guy King

pete ( snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not under that name, but there's been dozens of others similar - pellets in a wire basket thingy that you drop down the filler neck, pellets in a metal can that you plumb into the fuel line.

All equally false.

Reply to
Adrian

Just like the silly claims about Shell Optimax - it doesn't make my car produce any more power or go any faster than it does with Tesco petrol. If you say something often enough, people believe it - loads of boy racers must be buying it for their 1.0litre 12v Corsas.

Reply to
klf

Holts used to do pellets which you put in the sparkplug holes, and were claimed to eliminate the need for a re-bore. Of course few cars last long enough these days to need one anyway...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I had a similar experience; Years ago when I was young and foolish I bought an 850 mini (Remember them... revved like a sewing machine)... Driven by a little old lady for 10 years..... It wouldn't pass 60 for me on the test drive..... bought it anyway..... by the time I drove the 100+ mile home flat out it bloody did eighty........ Same thing as your Octane super dooper rocket power juice you added to the tank..... when you added it and tried to go faster you found it did... eventually..... but not the go faster juice that did it..... you blew the bloody soot out of it..

Jk

Reply to
JK

klf ( snipped-for-privacy@jl.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Higher octane juice *can* produce more power/better economy - IF the car can use it properly.

Most modern cars will retard the ignition from a base map suitable for

95RON if pinking is detected - but what's needed is a base map suitable for 98RON, which would mean the ignition is auto-retarded for 95.

Without that, you're right, the extra money is wasted.

What it does allow, too, is older pre-undeaded fuel cars to have the ignition set back to where it should be, and remove the hobbling that's been necessary to cope with the cat piss they call petrol these days.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Ian Edwards contains these words:

Cor - I remember that. Wonder how it was /supposed/ to work - 'cos it never did.

Reply to
Guy King

I remember Holts 'Piston Seal', I wonder if that's what you're thinking of? Or did that come in a tube like toothpaste?

Reply to
Ian Edwards

This reminds me of a product I bought from qvc - it was put in the oil and petrol it was suppose to clean the carbon (pistons/rings/head) - two days after I tried to start the car and there was water coming into number one piston - not sure if it did the job - but I had to scrap the car because of blue smoke coming from the exhaust.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

________

Ahhhhhhhh, memories!

In 1972 I was young and foolish - so foolish, in fact, that I responded to an advertisement in one of the popular motoring magazines for a product called 'Kraus Bond'

This 'scientifically formulated product' was alleged to contain Molybdenum (very esoteric back then) and was 'guaranteed' to cure worn cylinders by 're-lining' 'em.....

Two types of the product were available - a paste (that one squirted in through the plug holes) and, 'Ideal for the non-technically minded', some small pellets (which one also popped into the cylinder via the spark plug apertures.

' Krause Laboratories' were situated on the Wirral - and I made my way excitedly to the given address - only to find that it was a semi-detached house, whose door was answered by a middle aged housewife.

Trustingly (I was young!) I asked this representative of Krause's scientific team for some of the pellets, and parted with a fiver for four yellow, aspirin sized, tablets in a polythene bag - and, being anxious to gain all the benefits of Krause technology as quickly as possible, I removed the plugs from my Morris 1100 and duly put a pellet in each cylinder.

Alas - during the journey home, blue smoke began to pour from the exhaust - and a few days later the oil light came on.........all highly coincidental, of course.....

The bastards!

Reply to
Tmax