Musical Focus ...

Mate of mine has a 2005 Focus Estate. He has had a 'problem' recently with it randomly producing a sequence of three soft chimes, but no other apparent - or immediate at least - associated problems. Despite checking his user book and the 'net for any info on what this (warning ?) means, he can find nothing. His brother who is a former Ford-trained mechanic also has drawn a blank, so anyone come across this, or know what it means ?

Additional info that may or may not be part of what's going on :

A couple of months ago, he was on a longish journey when this first occurred. The car kept running ok, but a couple of minutes later, the speedo and rev counter dropped to zero, and the LCD display blanked. He pulled over and stopped the engine, and let it rest for a few minutes. When he restarted, all was well, and he completed the journey without further incident. On the return journey, however, the ignition warning light came on, but otherwise, it ran ok. When he got home, he stuck a meter across the battery, and it was below 12 volts. He started the engine and the voltage did not come up, so he decided that the problem was most likely the alternator. He asked his brother, who agreed, so he got one online and his brother fitted it. Normal battery charging was restored, and it has been ok since. Except that it has now started this random chiming again, but with no obvious associated problems at this time. He says that it is not an 'in your face' warning sound, just three soft chimes.

Over to you good folk ( I've assured him that the expertise on here will know, so don't let me down !) d;-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Arfa Daily put finger to keyboard:

Does it ever happen when the lights are off?

The most common 'soft chime' on Fords is if the door is opened while the lights are on. I'm thinking dodgy door sensor.

Reply to
Scion

Does his vehicle have seat belt reminders? Usually they sound constantly at first, then at intervals afterwards. I know the US Focus uses the same chime as the 'lights on' one, in sequences of three.

It might be that he is unaware of this alarm and is leaving parcels or luggage on a seat, or there is a fault.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

The seat belt reminder (as opposed to the seat belt alarm) comes on after you have started driving with an occupied seat and the belt unlatched. You wouldn't want it startling the driver, just reminding them.

Your friend's description of 'softer' is exactly what it is like. It would seem somewhat coincidental that it is also a sequence of repeated groups of three...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

some (us?) models also have a low fuel chime

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Bread is ready to be taken out of the oven. That is what the three note chime means in my local Lidl store. :-)

Reply to
polygonum