N rge Ford Escort, faulter temp guage

The temp guage on my Escort shoots up to the Chernobol setting, i.e away to the right as soon as my car starts. I've had the car checked out and the engine is not overheating and all is well in that department. Will be a case of the actual guage being faulty, the petrol guage also wanders up and down and at the moment it is sitting on "dry as a bone" even though I have just put in £10 of petrol. How easy is it to fix these things.

Cheers BC

***
Reply to
Big Craigie

If this is a Zetec engine then the sender is at the back of the block with a single wire going into it. If this wire shorts to ground, you'll get the uber-warm reading you're seeing.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Sounds like the voltage regulator on the back of the speedo head. My Capri does the same. I just live with it.

Reply to
Conor