Nearside (left) CV gaiter/boot has a nick in it - Pug 306 1998 1.4 petrol

I've noticed that the nearside (left side when sitting in the car, gearbox side so shorter driveshaft) CV gaiter/boot has got a small nick in it. It's pretty small, and isn't on a 'crease' part of it but in the middle of a flat face. The surrounding inch or two had a little grease (I assume) on it. Pressing gently around the area causes a little more great to come out - suggesting (maybe wrongly) that there's still some in there and it's still pretty full.

I actually noticed the CV boot had some grease on it around Sept 06 (with MOT done at council place at end of Oct 06) but for whatever reason, hadn't been able to get a good look until now.

Is there any kind of repair that can be done on it considering the damage is not on a crack, but a low flexed flat face. It looks like external damage rather than normal wear and tear (which I'd expect to happen on a crease point).

If not, what kind of cost should I expect for replacing that boot at a local garage?

Alternatively, how difficult a job is it? I know my Dad used to do it on his Mini, but I've not really done many jobs like this but more than willing to try!

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

clean up and a dab of silicone

Reply to
MrCheerful

Thoroughly clean with meths or similar, roughen surface around hole with fine sandpaper and you can use a thin piece of similar rubber (puncture outfit patch etc) but use a good quality superglue instead of rubber adhesive, works a treat. done it several times even on a crease and in one case lasted as long as I had the car (2 years0. Gets through MOT as well

Reply to
Tank

In message , MrCheerful writes

Absolutely! I managed to nick mine when cutting off the brake discs with a hacksaw. I put on a blob of silicone and it lasted another 4 years before it developed a proper split elsewhere in one of the folds.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

clean it up and use silicone on it but dont just go mad with silicone. do it with care,and just silicone the hole. chris addlestone surrey

Reply to
Chrs

By silicone you mean...? Silicone sealant as used in kitchens and bathrooms? Just want to make sure I'm thinking the same thing as everyone.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

David Hearn

In message , David Hearn writes

Yes that's it. Silicone sealant.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Make sure it is "real" silicone, not the cheap substitute sold in some DIY sheds.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

You've been extremely luck if it was silicone - it doesn't stick very well to things like that. Polyurethane OTOH... Tiger Seal or similar will do a near-permanent job on them.

Reply to
asahartz

In message , asahartz writes

I use silicone sealant at work all the time and it has no problems bonding with that sort of thing. The stuff I usually use is Dow Corning Silastic RTV732.

Paul Giverin

I would guess that's a much higher spec than the common bathroom sealant most people would use then - seems to stick most things until a little bit of water gets under it.

Reply to
asahartz