Need for battery to be secured for MOT?

I've looked in motuk.co.uk and can't see any reference to this. Does the bracket that bolts into the battery tray (usually) have to be bolted down to pass the MOT? I may need to leave it off to get a bigger battery in. Thanks, as always.

Reply to
Les

The battery needs to be secure, yes.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Perhaps the OP could go back to the old system of two right angled threaded rods that sit in two holes in the battery tray connected to a cross piece over the top of the battery ...watching that there is enough room above that it doesn't foul the bonnet .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

I've always understood that to be so, yet like the OP I can't find it in the manual.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Hmmm... Nothing there about it, is there? Even so it would make sense to have it secured in case it earthed itself on something.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

It needs to be secured fullstop. A mate of mine got done under C&U for an insecure battery. Ended up with 3 points on his licence.

Reply to
Conor

There's a whole discussion about this on one of the Rover forums:

I'm still none the wiser....

Reply to
Les

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 19:55:54 +0000, Conor thought, then proclaimed:

Really? I got an advisory on the Xantia for not having a secure battery back in 2008. The bolt securing th clamp had sheared in the hole, and I dad no time to drill and retap it before the test. I expected it to fail and was just going to get the garage to do it, but it passed.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

If the top of it looked normal, ie the bolt was still there, the tester would have no suspicions about it. If the bolt or clamp was obviously missing, then (s)he would almost certainly try to wiggle it about.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Yep. CU20 OTTOMH. Came as a result of someone driving the wrong way round a roundabout and ploughing into him. Came to light in the vehicle inspection.

Reply to
Conor

How does an old mini, or anything with a well for the battery to fit into? On a mini, the battery is trapped in the well by the battery wires and insn't going anywhere (although usually fitted with a clamp as well). This meets the ordinary mans definition of 'secure'

Reply to
Jacobian

On minis the battery well used to rust away, which would then fail the test, and in a severe case could leave the battery hanging by its wires. They also had a cheap and nasty cardboard cover for it, which was often thrown away when it got rancid. I was called out to a non-starting mini, and found the jack handle resting across the terminals. A lucky escape.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Funnily enough all five of my Mini saloons still have the card cover in place!

As Minis are often driven enthusiastically, a standard battery can slide about quite a lot in the box, not good for the connections. Though the

068 that I favour is going nowhere! Tight fit.
Reply to
asahartz