new car noise - any theories?

Okay..... Golf CL 1.8 Mk 3 1994, petrol.

I've recently noticed a noise that didn't used to be there.

I start up from cold, and usually in between changing from 1st to 2nd there's something between a squeak and a rattle.

Beware, non-technical description of sound coming up:

Kind of like gently rocking a squeaky bed with a box of plastic hoover components on the bed springs.

I can induce the noise by gently varying the throttle up and down.

I don't notice the sound when the engine is warm.

Any thoughts?

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

noisy clutch centre plate coupling (usually you can induce this at pull away too).

Loose or cracked exhaust part

loose engine mount

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I'd go for the clutch rattly bit, probably release bearing. Could fail tomorrow or happily go on for years. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

On 20-Feb-06 09:23:30, davek said

Thanks guys. If it was the centre plate coupling(?!) I imagine its not something the likes of me can erm..... tighten up or generally secure, is it?

Thanks again for your trouble.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

No, live with it. Release bearings used to be a carbon block held in a steel cup, but over they years all manufacturers followed the Ford pattern, a ball bearing cage. The lubricant in the 'sealed for life' bearing dries out, the balls and track wear and it rattles. Change it when the clutch is replaced. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

On 21-Feb-06 11:11:32, davek said

Okay thanks for the info Dave.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

Do you have a squeeky bed and a hoover in the back of the car?

Reply to
a.n.other