New car on the horizon

Hey all,

After a few problems with my current motor (Mk IV Astra), I've decided I'm going to start looking for a new set of wheels. Having never really driven anything other than Fords, Vauxhalls and the like before, I quite fancy driving something a little more adventurous... though I'm a bit worried something "out of the ordinary" will cost me a lot more to run, whether it's on insurance, fuel, or parts/servicing. At the moment, I have my beady eyes on a 1978 MG MGB GT, a 1984 Porsche 944, and less specifically, any BMW from early-to-mid-nineties - mainly because I've heard that BMW's will run well beyond the 100 grand mark, mileage-wise. Any thoughts? I don't mind hunting around for spares myself on ebay and the like, as long as my garage will do the work for a decent price, which shouldn't be a problem, unless the work they have to do is very difficult (thinking of the MG).

Any recommendations of other makes/models? I have about 2K to spend, but could go a little higher if the car was right...

TIA, DSt.

Reply to
DSt

Forget the 944. Whilst they're not too bad on fuel, they need to be tuned very regularly.

Reply to
Conor

MGB - fun, simple mechanics, cheap insurance, rot......

Porsche - galvanised so rust isn't a problem. Can be big bucks to fix and run. (especially the 944...) 924 uses Audi bits so cheaper....

BMW - Late 80's 325i - great car to drive but watch out for tarted up heaps.

Or:

Classic Saab 900 Turbo 16. Cheap to buy, Solid, quick and reliable - engines will do 300K. Plenty of thrashed examples around though - love/hate looks.....

Toyota MR2 Mk1, fun little cars, jap reliability, but rust can be a problem....

Reply to
john

My mate loved his, and it cost him peanuts to run....

I'd still look around for a GOOD Alfa Romeo 33 or 146 - they are GREAT to drive and don't cost the earth to run - if you buy one that is rust free, it'll stay that way. The 33 8v if you live in a city, 16v if you don't want your licence anymore.....

Artie

Reply to
Arturo Ui

New Car on the Horizon ? :O)

Mark W

Is it for a daily driver? If so, something along the lines of a 7-8 year old BMW/VW/Audi/Saab/Volvo with service history would probably fit the bill. The bigger engined models will offer better performance for generally not much more fuel consumption. Most of the above will have aircon, electric stuff etc. and should be pretty reliable and cheapish for spares through the likes of GSF and Eurocarparts.

Reply to
Carl Bowman