New Escort and Volvo S40/V50

It is obvious that the new Escort look different from the Volvo S40 since one is a hatchback and the other is a salon. However, the other day I mistook A new Ford Escort Estate for a Volvo V50. The similarity in uncanny; It was not until I could read the badge that I realised it was an Escort.

Reply to
Johannes

It is amazing. Here was me thinking that they produced the last Escorts in the year 2000. And since when have Volvo been creating hairdressers' cars? They leave that to the likes of Toyota.

-- Tell me your birthday!

Called Pete? Join The Pete Collective NOW at

AstraVanMan

Sorry, what's the name nowadays? Ahh, "Focus"! I can never remember...

Reply to
Johannes

Escorts ceased production 5 years ago. Think you mean Focus?

Reply to
Chris Street

The message from Johannes contains these words:

Ford have had some singularly inept name choices recently, haven't they.

Reply to
Guy King

But it's an Escort with a Focus badge :-)

Reply to
Johannes

Is it bollocks.

Reply to
Chris Street

No, my post about the similarity between the V50 and the Focus Estate was a genuine comment. Check it out.

Reply to
Johannes

And you're a troll with a "Johannes" badge. Only a bad one.

-- Tell me your birthday!

Called Pete? Join The Pete Collective NOW at

AstraVanMan

They do look similar bonnet wise. Not so sure about similarities from the back end though.

Reply to
Chris Street

Not just recently - how about the Ford Edsel?

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

Didn`t Ford buy Volvo a couple of years ago ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I thought in particular from the side and back. The way the roof line curves to a high point in the middle.

Reply to
Johannes

Yes, and the S40 is based on the Focus Cmax chassis, which would explain the similarity.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

The message from "Graeme" contains these words:

Perhaps he really hated his brother.

Reply to
Guy King

I think the new Focus and the V50 are the same chassis, although I could be wrong.

Reply to
Pete M

Yep - that's right. They both use Ford's C1 platform, which also provides the basis for the Volvo S40 and the Mazda 3. There will be some other stuff coming soon based on the C1 too...

Reply to
a.tucker

Johannes ( snipped-for-privacy@smash-spam-sizefitter.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Apart from the subtle detail that it's a Focus...

Wossis, then?

Adrian

Er, the Focus saloon? Not common, but there are a few about.

Cheers,

Reply to
James Dore

James Dore ( snipped-for-privacy@new.oxford.ac.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :