New Escort Problems...

Hey,

I decided on a cheap Ford Escort 'Finesse', Y reg, as my runabout for now.

There's a few issues I have with it though at the moment. If anybody can enlighten me on any of them, I'd be grateful!

1) Rear windscreen demister does not work - fuse seems okay, earth seems okay, perhaps just a short in the wire somewhere?

2) Aircon button worked at first, now aircon does not work. The button feels very very crap that puts the A/C on, it's either out of place, or perhaps it needs regassed at worst. If there's any simple diagnosis technics I should try before taking it to a garage, I would love to hear it!

3) I noticed after filling it up with (normal unleaded...) for the first time, that if you rev it kinda hard, then let it drop right down, it nearly stalls. So far when I have tried this, it has not stalled, but it very nearly does, and you can watch the dash-panel icons to see this is nearly about to happen. Is there any simple method for adjusting this? Could it just be idling too low (doesn't seem to be the case, idles quite nicely!) or on return-to-idle is it having problems with air-intake perhaps? Any suggestions appreciated...

4) Weird creaky noise when parking up, seems to come from right or middle of bonnet (heard from inside the car, need a 2nd person to help locate noise...) but it's like a slightly loud creaky noise. Never done this in the auction, or naturally I wouldn't have purchased it, but I'm sure it's an easy solution, as someone here will point out....er....hi guys...hi!?

Apart from that most things are fine, I'm just worried about the above few problems and would really like them to get sorted asap through simplest most appropriate measure possible!

Thanks for any responses,

Robert

Reply to
Robert

More likely its open circuit somewhere. If it was short the fuse would go.

Dave

Reply to
gort

The message from "Robert" contains these words:

Check that the lug hasn't dropped off the screen where the power cable attaches.

Reply to
Guy King

The actual elements on rear windows often burn out. You can check this with a DVM set to resistance - you should get a reading of only a few ohms. Since the element is on the surface, if you can't see a break you can trace it using the DVM. A break can be repaired using conductive silver paint from Halfords, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Good stuff, sounds simple. It's not a huge consideration, I don't recall ever using these in the past as aircon soon rids the car of condenstation.

For those who are still interested, the aircon button is just faulty, doesn't feel firm, a contact must be loose in the switch itself, will have a gander at that later on in the week.

The creaking noise isn't the drive-shaft, it's the CV joint connected to the left-wheel! ~£40 to replace, should be fine.

The severe-revving then followed by foot-off-pedal and nearly-stalling, but never quite stalling, appears to be something minor, and as i never rev when idle hard anyways, as it's often pointless, it wont bother me for now. Will get it sorted at next mot/service.

All that's left is the rear de-mister wires on the rear-window, will get a voltmeter or ohmeter out and have a look.

Thanks for the responses,

Robert.

Reply to
Yozzi