New Ford Focus questions

Hi,

Not sure if that's OT; please direct me to the right group if not (I can't get alt.autos.ford.focus, by the way).

I have a 2000 Focus 1.8 petrol. I am starting to think about replacing it with another one. Just like with my current one, I was thinking of using the Ford Direct scheme.

However, 1.8s seem to be few and far between, and fetching a premium. There appear to be two 1.6 petrol engines in the new Focus. Having driven my brother's 1.6 (Mk 1.5), I am not keen on its gearing at all. So to my questions:

- Is the low-bhp 1.6 still geared abysmally long? Is the high-bhp 1.6 also geared abysmally long?

- How do you tell one from the other without asking? Did they fit one engine to one set of models (eg LX, Zetec, etc).

- Does aircon come as standard in the 1.6/1.8 LXs?

Thanks,

Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

In message , Kostas Kavoussanakis writes

uk.rec.cars.misc would be ok but its not particularly OT for this group when you consider some of the really OT crap that gets posted here ;)

We've had a mk1 1.6 in the family for 8 years and at the start of the year a had a test drive in a new 1.6 VVT Focus. It was certainly quicker than our old 1.6 Zetec SE engined Focus but it wasn't as quick as I'd expected. I've driven a 1.6 VCT Renault Megane and that felt quicker than the 1.6 Focus. Perhaps the Focus is heavier.... I don't know. Book a test drive and see for yourself.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I'd be more worried about the differences underneath. I feel that the original design was much better, excluding the couple of stupid ECU glitches reported, than the new one. It's became just another mondeo-looking interior, not exactly great IMHO.

Still, I'm sure if you're only keeping it for three/four years it's worth a punt.

Reply to
r_trainer

In message , john writes

Sorry????

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Thanks for all the answers. I am not the world's fastest driver, but if it's a compromised dog, 3 minutes is too much. Plus I prefer to run them to the ground (which I have not been able to do with my current one :-( ), certainly longer that 3-4 years. I really enjoy driving my current Focus and I was hoping the new one would be the same. The vagueness of the 1.6 specification makes it harder to do your homework before the visit to the dealer and the unavailability of the 1.8 means there is no real alternative in the range.

Time for a rethink.

Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

Kostas Kavoussanakis wrote: The

There's a 1.8zetec petro; engine, a 1.8 diesel and there's in the UK a multifuel whatchamacall petrol/biofuel version

Reply to
Tommy