New or refurb wheels?

The alloy wheels (17") on my 2008 Mini have bubbled quite badly, and when I had the tyres changed recently (to Avon non-runflat - very good compromise) I was told that one had a small crack. It leaks a couple of psi per week. Apparently BMW won't entertain corrosion claims - 'you didn't look after them properly'. Which may or may not be true - I do much the same as I've ever done, hand wash by the supermarket car park washing people, and never had this before. Anyway.

Not sure of the best way forward. One new wheel and refurb - maybe £500? SH off ebay? Or maybe these:

£300 a new set off ebay. Would these be any good?

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
RJH

When my son had the alloys refurbed on his Beemer, they found a crack on one wheel, and were able to weld it up. Might be worth asking?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The crack isn't down to corrosion. The corrosion is purely cosmetic.

The crack needs sorting. One replacement wheel to sort that - might be weldable, but I'm not sure I would - and a cosmetic refurb for the rest should you feel the need.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes, realised that - the corrosion puts me in mind of replacing the whole lot.

TBH I'm not that bothered how they look, although it'll doubtless count when I come to sell it - which got me to thinking about the £300/set cheapies.

On the welding vs replacement, think I'd rather replace.

Rob

Reply to
RJH

So there y'go. Ignore the cosmetics, replace the cracked wheel - and stop hitting potholes and kerbs.

Reply to
Adrian

RJH wrote: [snip]

Stripping and powder coating five 17" alloys from my wife's Merc cost £350.

Welding a crack won't add much, if anything, to that.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I've just had my summer wheels refurbed- strip and powder coat, but only

4, £260 from a well-respected refurber (17 x 7 OEM five-spokes). I'd second that the weld wouldn't add much, and I think I'd trust a good refurber with that.
Reply to
Chris Bartram

I must get around to having my spare MX5 rims done - they're lovely RAYS Jap market alloys, but one has a ding in the rim.

Reply to
SteveH

En el artículo , RJH escribió:

Rather poor for a 5 year old car, no? My 2003 Mini's alloys are still ok, but not exactly pristine (I've kerbed it a couple times.)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Yeah that sounds about right... average about 350 for those sort of wheels

'mot cost'

Dacourt