New potential law on kids car seats sept 2006

Following from this link :-

I've got 3 kids and an MPV with leather trim, Kids are 9½, 8 & 4yrs , eldest two are over 1.35m tall.

I thought I'd broke free from child seats last year, but it looks like they are back on the scene again. How is supposed to be interpreted ? any kid under 11 MUST have a booster ? or just those under 1.35m ??.

thx

Reply to
ToxOgrady

The message from "ToxOgrady" contains these words:

Though I wouldn't take the Aldi site as gospel, the wording is quite clear.

"If your child is under 135cm (4'5") and aged between 0-12 years they must travel in the right child seat, booster seat or booster cushion."

Only if your child is /both/ under 135cm and 12 years will you need a booster. Any other interpretation of those particular words doensn't work.

Reply to
Guy King

....yeah I got lost in Mr Spock logic trying to fathem out 'and' vs 'or'. If it used the word 'or' then either condition applied , however using the word 'and' then both conditions must apply to make to rule become enforced. Therefore my elder two kids are okay providing the 1.35m figure is correct.

I never completed my original post though. The reason for mentioning leather trim was because I didn't figure many boosters would sit still on the seat.

Reply to
ToxOgrady

Buy a Galaxy/Sharan, they are built in but optional spec @£125 but cover from 9kg to 38kg

Reply to
A C

The message from "ToxOgrady" contains these words:

They usually have "horns" which the belt goes under, so they're unable to slide forward provided the belt is done up properly.

Reply to
Guy King

The proposed law is children under 1.35m AND 11 years or younger. People are latching onto the "11 year old" thing and thinking its a draconian law, but its obvious really when you see a child that's too short with the shoulder belt across its neck.

My 6 year old is a bit > 1.35 and doesn't sit on a booster, and the rear seat belts in our car looks just right on him. But my 4 year old daughter is about 1.15 and if she isn't on a booster it looks wrong.

I think the most bizarre thing is that under current laws a 3 year old is permitted to sit in any seat, without any booster!

By the way, we've always used boosters and child seats on leather without a problem - what you need is some of that grey "anti-slip" matting that's sold as a car accessory to stop stuff skidding around in the boot. It works a treat.

Dz

Reply to
dransfield

Aldi are offering a Child's booster seat for £2.99 from Thursday

A C

That's the same link that the OP posted and started this whole thread off with! ;)

David Hearn

I understand you thoughts. This is a more believable link :

BT News

The proper government link still says children who are 3-11 AND under 1.35m just like the Aldi advert. So its back to sqaure one , I assume my 8 & 9 yr old don't have to as they are both ABOVE 1.35m...

Reply to
ToxOgrady

Oh yeah, hadn't even noticed it

Reply to
A C

It is the height which is important, as the bottom lap strap needs to be as low as possible (to prevent internal injury) and the shoulder strap needs to be across the shoulder.

It's like child car seats - it's the weight which is the determining factor (with guides as to what the weights usually mean for ages).

David Hearn