new Saab desiel smoking A LOT!

I have seen two of these recently, new Saabs, obviously diesels because it would seem whenever they accelerate even slightly loads of dark sooty smoke comes out the exhaust. Is this just co-incidence or is there a problem with Saab diesels? The turbo chargers maybe?

Reply to
neutron

Isn't it the 1.9 Renault diesel fitted in these?

Reply to
Peat

This sort of thing always disappoints me a bit. I know it's illogical but I don't like to hear that so many cars share the same components - don't/didn't Aston Martin use Ford switchgear or something like that?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Almost as bad - it's the Fiat donk, via Vauxhall.

Reply to
DervMan

Usually problems with the EGR valves sticking will cause a very sooty exhaust on acceloration, as there isnt not the oxygen in the cylinders to fully burn the fuel the ECU is supplying- theres too much recycled combustion gases.

Its a Fiat motor in the latest 1.9 9-3's, same as in Vx's.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

That will be because Ford own Aston Martin.

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man

Indeed. Raiding the Ford parts bins for an AM is a bit off though.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

My last two new MBs have done this, it seems to be by default, no problems ever showed up on service, and neither burnt oil - 30k/year -

Reply to
MrGrumpy

New ones have a fiat motor I think.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Also it's becoming common to tweak exec turbodiesels to get them to go a bit quicker...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Depends on which car and how old.

The 9-5 still uses the 2.2TiD GM engine but the 9-3 now uses the 1.9TiD common rail GM/Fiat lump.

krystnors

Reply to
krystnors

Ya, we figured it was the later donk.

If you know your Saabs, did GM fix the 3.0 diesel? I believed that they were dropped from the 9-5 range, but t'other day somebody in a 2005 9-5 zoomed past me with 3.0 TiD on the back... (or something similar, but it was the V6 diesel from the badge).

Badge engineering or a revised donk? Or old stock with a new registration plate?

Reply to
DervMan

No, the 1.9 are Alfa Romeo diesel engines. 120-150bhp.

Reply to
Johannes

The 3.0TiD was available in the 9-5 from 2001 - 2004.

So probably old stock with a new plate.

I can't understand why this engine didn't work. GM may not be the best diesel engine developer ever but this was developed in conjunction with Isuzu. GM still use this engine in their American cars.

krystnors

Reply to
krystnors