new temp sensor problems

I bought a new coolant temp sensor as my old one failed to even show any temperature reading. I bought a new one from Eurocar parts and it started showing a reading, but would was 2 bars away from 90 which I understand is the optimal temperature.

So I bought a genuine one from VW fitted it and it shows 80 degress roughly. No matter how long I drive it stays at 80, is this normal or is something wrong with my display ? or engine it self ?

This is on a mk4 golf 1.6se 8v 1999

I had another mk4 before and within about 10 minutes would always sit at 90 no hassles.

I'm just wondering if theres something wrong with my engine not getting to correct temperature.

2 sensors now both can't be duds ... I hope.

Thanks for an advice.

Reply to
Dubber

If it's actually sitting at 80 then the radiator fan won't cut in, but if you really want to check then a thermometer's probably your best bet, just buy a cheap one & check it reads 100C in boiling water.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I opened the coolant cap to have a look at the level easier to see for me like that and a weeeeze of air burst out. When I did the sensor I pumped the big pipe it was on to create a vac whilst the coolant cap was off and let the pipe go after I put the cap back on. No one drop was lost and allowed me to put the sensor in. BUT I forgot to open the cap after a short run (when it was cool) to allow it to bleed out.... DOH! After a run it gets to 90 within 15 minutes and sits put.

I guess the extra air must has cause the irrularities in the readings.

I'll wear the idiot cap now :)

Reply to
Dubber