Reply to
Simon Finnigan

En el artículo , Simon Finnigan escribió:

Check the review at honestjohn.co.uk

I think I've seen mention that spares are very expensive - you might want to check this.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

So, lemme get this straight, you've got a 7yo turbo diesel in which the turbo's died. Hardly a surprise, and hardly an unusual age to do it. You don't know why, but even so you're trying to prove it's the garage's negligence.

And, now that one of the main age-related failures has been replaced, you want to get shot of the car...

Riiight.

Reply to
Adrian

7 year old car, 75,000 miles and it blew 3 miles down the road from a garage that was VERY annoyed at me - it took the CEOs office of the insurance company getting involved and rejecting the car five times before it was in anything like good condition. The turbo blew in a way that my mechanic, and his dad who has been a mechanic for decades, have never seen before, nor had any of the other people they know seen a turbo fail in this way. I've never had a turbo blow in a car before, that's with a VW Passat with 220,000 miles on the clock, Audi A6 with 165,000 miles on the clock, Saab 9-3 with 110,000 miles on the clock, nor have I know anyone have a turbo blow even after MUCH higher mileage and much older cars that this Skoda.

Would you have accepted it as "One of those things" if it happened to you, or would you have a suspicion that something may have been done to the car by way of revenge, given that now I've done my digging there are lots of horror stories about the garage that did the work to the car?

Thanks for your intelligent, well considered reply to the post by the way.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Go on, give us a hint...

Reply to
Adrian

Without any warning noise, loss of power or other symptoms to suggest there was an issue, the turbo housing gas split in a couple of places, throwing bits of turbine everywhere. I'm not a mechanic, I've seen it and it doesn't look right, but everyone who is a mechanic that has seen it has commented that it's very strange.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Inlet or exhaust side?

Reply to
Adrian

I don't know - all I know is that a turbine fell out of the bottom of the hole at the rear of the engine along with a pristine condition bolt that we think was originally holding the turbine into a spindle.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

About the only two items of "sabotage" that I can think a garage would do are introducing a foreign object to the inlet tract or interfering with the oil supply to it.

Cutting the oil supply would cause the bearing to overheat and seize, not the turbine or shaft to break up.

Foreign object damage would take all the blades off the inlet turbine - again, not cause the turbine or shaft to break up. Don't ask how I know that one... (it took about fifty miles, not three, too)

Reply to
Adrian

There are other reasons to get rid of the car, it's had a lot of bodywork repaired and to be honest I'm getting fed up of messing about with the car. I've lost trust in it, regardless of how well the turbo may be repaired ill always be waiting for something else to go. I'm looking to replace it with a much higher spec Mazda 6, relatively cheaply and just walk away from the Skoda, sell it for what I can depending if the turbo gets repaired by someone else, or by me.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan