new tyre -- Yokohama A.drive

Today I went to the tyre shop to put two new tyres on the front of my car. I have always used the 14" Yokohama S760 tyres. At a slightly higher price, I was receiving the tyres which were softer (=better grip) than an average tyre.

The shop assistant told me that the S760 line was discontinued. He said the replacement line was "A.drive". So I took them. The visual difference is that the A.drive's have three large grooves in the middle (which supposed to lessen aquaplaning). My impression is that the tyre is structurally softer because it seems it became harder for the car to accelerate. Although the material of the tyre seems to be harder because the grip of the car with the road feels weaker.

Is this really so, or am I imagining things ? Did Yokohama replace the previous tyre with a worse one ?

Here is the reference to the official website:

minnesøtti

It takes a while for new tyres to lose their factory mould release and bed in, it is unlikely you have travelled enough miles in one day to do this.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks for reply, but... When I replaced the worn S760 tyres with the new S760 ones, I immediately felt the difference. The grip with the road felt significantly better.

However, today I replaced the worn S760 tyres with the new A.drive ones, and I felt the grip was the same or slightly better. What kind of "factory mold" needs to be "released", I do not understand ??

Reply to
minnesøtti

the 'forming mould' for the tyre is covered in 'release' fluid so that the tyre can be removed. It takes a few hundred miles before the fluid is worn off and the tyre has 'run-in' After that, and with the pressures right for the car and the tyre you will be able to judge how nice the tyre is.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I got the same story when wanting to buy a pair of A539s last week. I only bought a pair 12months ago and they are already discontinued. Got "C Drive" instead.....and avoided bad puns about FDISKing them.

C Drive is similar.

I found they gave a better ride and steering BUT that could be the wheel alignment and the low pressures tyre places use.

I was told C Drive was the equivalent to my A539s but I could have gone A Drive. C Drive's cost more, presumably better...

Reply to
The Raven

Actually the mold is sprayed with "release agent". You can't apply release agent to something that doesn't exist until it's molded.

It shouldn't take that long. Maybe 30K for most of it.

Reply to
The Raven

I had a look on the official website at the C.drive tyres. They indeed are touted as having a good cornering capability. The A.drive tyres are claimed to have just a good grip and braking capability. Actually, I found that the A.tyres made the handling worse: the car reacts to my turning the steering wheel not as easy as with the old type of tyres.

Reply to
minnesøtti

I don't see any difference between your explaination and mrcheerfuls. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G