New tyres, no pull.

New front tyres! Now the old Cavalier doesn't pull to one side when being driven along.

????

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Chris Bacon ( snipped-for-privacy@thai.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The old tyres were shagged.

Reply to
Adrian

How would this cause the car to very noticeably pull to one side?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Chris Bacon ( snipped-for-privacy@thai.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's not uncommon for a car to pull if the tyres are unevenly worn - to the point where if a car's pulling, and nothing's obviously bent, swapping the tyres around is about the first thing you'd try.

Reply to
Adrian

your wallets lighter !

Reply to
reg

At a guess the carcass loses strength, leading to higher rolling resistance, energy going into tyre wall deformation, etc. That imbalance causes a pull on one side. More noticeable on fronts than rears, as they do the steering, most of the braking, and on FWD put the power down.

Reply to
Stuffed

I've had a couple of these cars.

If yours is the 90 - 95 shape with the 195 section tyres, and the tyres have the tread design with the grooves that go all the way around (like an F1 tyre) - both of my cars were very sensitive to road markings when using these tyres and would "tramline" all the time, especially when accelerating. Got worse when the tyres were nearly worn out. Tyre wear was always perfectly even across the width of the tyre.

I used 2 types of tyre on the front that eliminated this problem, Goodyear NCT - the old type that you can't get any more, that had S shaped grooves acroos the tyre when viewd from above. This is the one that used to be shown on the opening sequences of top gear

Goodyear Vectra (?) - the one that is directional, with the V shaped groove acroos the tyre.

So now you know....

Reply to
R. Murphy

May not pull but they have been fitted incorrectly. The newest unworn tyres should always be on the back, FWD, RWD or AWD/4WD (excespt for ones that need a whole set).

Reply to
Peter Hill

Says yes and ducks under table....(205 owner)

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Mind if I ask why ? (i`ve just had the two front ones replaced on my shed)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Yes. These are new on the front, the back tyres have 5.5mm. on them. The front ones will wear a bit faster, so if this car keeps going, it'll possibly wear out the whole lot at once!

I'm not *too* worried about having new on the front and worn ones on the back, as the back still have a good amount of tread, & I scarcely use it as a racing car, anyway.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Colin Wilson ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Because he's a sheep that can't think for himself and can't accept that perhaps that's a gross oversimplification aimed at the truly gormless and incompetent.

Reply to
Adrian