Niggling little Mondeo problems

SLAM..I MEAN SLAM THE SEAT INTO POSITION AND CHECK THE BELT.

HEATER RESISTOR UNDER DASH ON PASSENGER FOOTWELL....HELD IN WITH A SMALL SCREW.... PULL OUT GLOVEBOX FOR BETTER ACCESS AND SOLDER ON NEW SPADES WHERE THEY WILL HAVE BURNED

FORD ONES HAVE THE PROPER SURROUND TO SCREW DIRECTLY TO THE DOOR

THIS CAN INDEED BE DONE.... A LEAD IS AVAILABLE FROM GOOD AUDIO STOCKISTS THAT PLUGS INTO THE REAR OF THE HEAD UNIT.

IF THE TRACKING IS OK WHEN CHECKED THEN THE TRACK ROD ENDS WILL HAVE TO BE AJUSTED + ON ONE SIDE AND - ON THE OTHER TO STRAIGHTEN THE STEERING WHEEL.

ALWAYS WERE WEAK..... YOU MUST ADJUST OFF THE HANDBRAKE COMPLETELY, REMOVE THE REAR DRUMS, INSPECT,CLEAN & REPLACE PARTS WHERE NECESSARY... THE BRAKE ADJUSTERS ARE A PAIN FOR GIVING UP... IT IS A GOOD IDEA TO REPLACE THEM (£30 FOR THE PAIR).... NOW THE IMPORTANT THING IS WHEN REPLACING THE DRUMS IS TO MANUALLY ADJUST UP THE BRAKES AT THE REAR ADJUSTERS SO THE DRUM IS A SNUG FIT AND DRIVE THE CAR A MILE OR SO AND ADJUST THEM UP AGAIN (KEEP HANDBRAKE ADJUSTMENT OFF)... FINALLY TIGHTEN UP THE HANDBRAKE TO THE DESIRED SETTING.... IT IS IMPORTANT TO GET MAX ADJUSTMENT AT THE SHOES BEFORE APPLYING ANY HANDBRAKE ADJUSTMENT.

HOPE THIS HELPS.......................JON

Reply to
JK

The message from "JK" contains these words:

While you're fixing things - any chance you could fix your CapsLock key? It's stuck on.

Reply to
Guy King

Ive had my mondeo a month now and here are the problems a months worth of driving can reveal:

- The most important one is the middle rear seatbelt is stuck, like the inersia is stuck on when the belt is flat to the seat.

- There is is burning smell when the fan is on position 3.

- the left speakers generate an awful rattling noise when playing songs with bass (i suspect that these have blown, what size speakers do i need? and do they have to be ford ones?)

- i got no mp3 cd autochanger (i.e: im looking for a sony mp3 cd autochanger but i want to keep the ford 5000 head unit in the front, and control the autochanger from that as not to have a display on the dash that says "hey ive got an autochanger in the boot" to thieves (especially the bastard who nicked my last head unit who hopefully now is dead and rotting in a ditch))

- when the front wheels are straight, the steering wheel looks as if its turning to the right slightly. (getting the tracking done would sort this out?)

- handbrake is weak (how much is this in a ford garage?)

Does anyone have any advice to fixing these? (apart from buying a new car) btw its a '97 R Reg Mondeo 1.8 Verona

Thanks

Muggy

Muggy

Fold the seat down, and really slam it back into position. This normally frees it up.

From then on, store the belt plugged into its socket, and it shouldn't happen again.

Probably the dread "resistor pack" issue. Well known problem.

Can't remember, no. Just ask for ones for a Mondeo.

sell changers and MP3 players. Specify it's for a Ford though. The 5000/6000 head units are limited to 6 CDs and 99 tracks/CD.

_Maybe_. Mine's like this normally, even after it's been tracked. Perhaps it's because I'm a fat bastard :-)

Take it to an independent. IIRC, you need to slacken the handbrake cable, unwind the self adjusters, replace the shoes, and then tighten the cable again.

Apparently, some places will just tighten the cable, which "confuses" the self adjusters.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Thanks for the replies...

Seatbelt: i tried this and i made it worse, pulling the seat down tightened it up even more so its digging into the seat now, so i stood in the boot and kicked shit into the back of the seat. Still no realease. Any ideas?

Burning smell: how much will this be from fords to fit? i dont trust my soldering but its still under warranty from the garage i bought it from, so this should cover it

Thanks

Muggy

Muggy

Apparently, what you have to do _now_, is remove the "clicky" end of the=20 seatbelt, by removing the bolt into the floor. This will then allow you to= =20 wind the belt back into the seat, and pull it free again.

IIRC, the part is =A312 or so. Fixing should be less than 1 hour, so you're= =20 looking at ~50+VAT I'd have thought.

Pete.

--=20 NOTE! Email address is spamtrapped. Any email will be bounced to you Remove the news and underscore from my address to reply by mail

Reply to
Pete Smith

It's knackered, the original Ford ones are crap anyway. They're a weird size, 8x6" so you'll need "custom fit" speakers or use adaptors.

I bought 2 pairs of cheap Pioneers, great for the price

Tony Bond

In message , Tony Bond writes

They must be spelling "Pioneer" differently these days ;)

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Ah balls ;) Kenwood then ;)

Reply to