Nissan Almera(Horrible smell)

Reasonably new Nissan Almera 1.5 SE . Found that on occasions when running and more so when turning off the engine I am getting a horrible smell, a bit like you know what or drains. It is not me (or the wife) nor have I found a dead animal in the engine compartment.The floors are dry.

Contacting the dealer next week but before I do have any owners had a similar problem ? Thanks Peter.

Reply to
Peter Coddington

Blocked pollen filter would cause this.

Other than that, if you have aircon / climate, try one of the de-odourising 'bombs' you can buy from Halfrauds / Ebay.

Reply to
SteveH

Like rotten eggs? It's the catalytic converter doing it's job. Produces SO2, which is as bad as cyanide,-but the tree huggers love it. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

The message from "davek" contains these words:

Only at high altitude where it reflects sunlight.

Reply to
Guy King

Maybe it's a dead battery

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Not rotten eggs from the exhaust is it?

the cat on short journeys will make this smell - does not warm up, thus does not work properly

Reply to
R. Murphy

As others have said, it will either be from the exhaust, from the ventilation system or you need to keep looking for the dead animal.

If you only use the car for short runs (under ten miles) then the cat will benefit from a good warming up. Thirty or more miles ought to do the trick. :)

If you have air conditioning then it could be the ventilation system. Running the system with the air conditioning all year around and drying it out from time to time seems to do the trick: run the car with the system engaged and the heat full on for at least twenty minutes. Then shut down the air conditioning but run with the heater still at maximum. Ten minutes or more should do the trick.

Reply to
DervMan