Nissan March (Micra) CVT Gearbox not changing gears - please help.

Hi guys,

Have just been browsing around on the board and now understand why people love the March/Micra! They are also becoming very popular here in Zimbabwe!

I have a small vehicle workshop with friends and a few days ago another friend brought in a recently imported (but used) Nissan March [Chassis K11-902923, Model EAEARHZK11EDA, Engine CG10(DE) 997cc, Transmission code NP-TC46NHD1AA]. The car has a CVT gearbox. The car is not changing gears. It takes of smoothly but does not change gears. I am aware of the nature of CVT boxes and that one does not easily detect gear changes in a CVT car. However, in this vehicle, the car will scream and scream and will struggle to get to 80km/h. I have pushed it and it did get to 120km/h but I could tell that i was torturing the car. Occasionally, the vehicle will sound as if it has changed a gear soon after take off, but this is rear. We took the car for electronic diagnostic testing and all systems were reported to be ok. This indicates that the problem is most likely mechanical, rather than electronic. What could be the problem? How do we rectify it? To complicate matters, CVT gearboxes are highly unusual here in Zimbabwe and no one repairs these boxes or has any real experience with them.

I have noticed that the oil is a very light brown. Am told that the oil should be pink. Is this true? Is all CVT oil pink?

We would like to open the gearbox and am wondering if there is anyone out there who has done this before. What should we look out for? Does anyone have a downloadable repair manual?

P.S. Importing another gearbox will cost +US$3000 from IBC Japan - this is more than the cost of importing another March.

We would greatly appreciate any help that we can get. (This morning i drove another March with a CVT gearbox, and it was smoother, and less frenetic than the one i mention above)

Regards Lemuel Dennis Harare, Zimbabwe

Reply to
Lemmyb

there are no gear changes on a cvt.

the problem may be the electro mechanical clutch slipping/faulty

Reply to
Mrcheerful

What he said. There is IIRC a requirement to change a pair of brushes which are accessed by removing the battery and it's tray, but after that, my memory is a bit hazy.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Thank you. Somebody told me today that "either the valve body has worn out allowing oil pressure to bleed off or the secondry drum has split.The drum splitting is the most common problem on these box,s". Could this be true?

Lemuel

Reply to
Lemmyb

The electric clutch brushes are most likely suspects. If it's slipping the clutch, the transmission will seem to be stuck in a lower ratio but that's because the transmission isn't seeing the full engine speed. I think. The transmission fluid should be red but has turned dark due to overheating because of the slipping problem. Change it after the transmission is fixed.

Reply to
Mark W

I have Nissan march with CG13 engine and its automatic transmission,the engine is OK but when we start to run the converter burntz,I can't understand whats the problem

Reply to
niteshchand118

[...]

First thing to check is the brushes that feed power to the electromagnetic clutch. The holder is just to the left of the gearbox dipstick. A very good article about it is here:

MrCheerful

hi guys im emanuel from zimbabwe i did changed a headgasket for a nissan march k12 but since then its not idlling at all plus the temp is always rising .it now flicks the engine check light on and im a bit confused on what could be the problem

Reply to
withuschafanza

The K13 Micra CVT only has 2 gears

One gear takes you up to 50mph then the next gear kicks in.

So you won't feel it go up the gears like say like a Jaguar would with its 6 gears.

Might be worth you resetting the ECU's, take both leads off the battery (make sure you have the radio code first) then join both of the battery leads together (I use a jump lead to do this) leave it like this for 30 minutes. Then put the leads back onto the battery and see how the car runs.

If this does not sort it then it will be something mechanical.

Reply to
cjwaywell