Nissan Micra gear problem

Hi there. The problem I'm having is that when I'm driving along in 4th or 5th gear, occassionally I will start to lose speed and can't seem to be able to accelerate or hold a certain speed, no matter how much I press down on the accelerator. Since my car is slowing down no matter what I do, I have no choice to switch to 3rd gear. At the same time as losing speed I notice a really pungent burning rubber smell coming through my vents and it's even stronger if I open the windows. I have this problem on about a quarter of the journeys I make. I'm not very experienced in car maintenance so I'm not sure what could be causing the problem. Is it my gearbox or clutch? Any input is appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Reply to
Tiit_Helimut

Is the engine running faster while the car is slowing down? If so the clutch is slipping and that accounts for the smell.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't recall noticing the engine running faster than normal when it happens. I will have to wait for it to happen again and check. Thanks!

Reply to
Tiit_Helimut